Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Sights for AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I would be using the rifle mainly to plink around at the range, and occasionally shooting varmints and such at my buddies ranch.
From what I was reading, the red dot covers the whole target at a far distance, so your not really placing your shot where you want, more of hoping it hits in the right spot..my reason for thinking a regular scope would also be a good idea! Also, if it ever really came down to it, home defense!!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you're going to shoot small animals a magnified optic will probably be best for you. A RDS is more of a MOM, fast a acquisition optic. If you're looking for SD/HD a RDS will be your best bet.

A 4moa dot will cover 4" at 100 yards. Aimpont does make a 2moa now.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #13

MOM, SD/HD?? Sorry man, I'm still not up to par on all the abbreviations...

Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not a problem, minute of man, self defense, home defense.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hey....MOM = Minute of Man.....wth dude.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Consider an Eotech. Its 1 moa dot is great 4 precision and 65 moa circle is faster than a 4 moa dot. Back it up with a 4x flip to the side magnifier for those 400+ range shost and ur golden. Only drawback is weight and $$$$.

You can go Aimpoint like most mine. I prefer the eotech reticle but have issues with it due to my eyes.

I am kinda itching for a 2mo t1 right now. Wth.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #17

Liked 947 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Hey....MOM = Minute of Man.....wth dude.
Nah, I thought that was MOTBL...

Minute of The Big Lebowski

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As stated, red dots are great for 0-100 yards and iron sights, with practice, can be effective out to 500 yards, or more. If you're looking to rapidly switch between short and long range shooting you can look right through a 1x red dot with iron sights that are fully adjustable for windage and elevation. Set it up so you're iron sights are in the lower third of your red dot. Then transitioning is as easy as moving your eye a half inch and you'll never have to worry about losing your zero. My 4 MOA red dot's zeroed for 100, but it's 8" big at 200 and a .223/5.56 drops less than 4" at 200, so all that means is the bullet'll be hitting towards the bottom of the dot. That's where my iron sights take over, they're battle zeroed at 300. Unless you're looking for more pinpoint type accuracy at long range that's a combo worth considering.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #19

Thanks for all the help guys, what I think I'm going to do is get a reflex sight with flip to side magnifier.
Also, With this set up, can iron sights still be used if needed without removing the reflex sight or magnifier? If it is possible, What, in particular do I need to look for in regards to either of the sights or mounting hardware so all the sights are functional?
TIA

Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #20

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

What iron sights do you have right now? Are you running an A2 upper with the carry handle or a flattop? If a flattop, do you already have a flip-up rear sight? I use a Yankee Hill Machine flip-up BUIS (back-up iron sight). I'm betting you don't have an A2 because a reflex sights with magnifier would be a lot more difficult to mount on a carry handle.

You want to look for the phrase "co-witness" or "one-third co-witness". That refers to a reflex sight being low enough on the rail that one can use the iron sights THROUGH the red-dot sight. One-third means the sights can be seen in the bottom third of the reflex sight. That's better than being visible through the center of the reflex sight, which is the sweet spot you don't really want obstructed.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face