Sights for AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Sights for AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sights for AR

Hey guys, I'm looking into building my first AR. I'm doing some research on sights and I want to install an open red dot sight. Now, for longer range shots, whats the best thing to do, install a magnifier, or swap out to a regular scope? But that would affect the accuracy right?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

What distance are you meaning by longer range shots?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

100+ yards or so

Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Are you talking about during some theoretical battle, switching out the optics, or between shots at the range? Is there a particular price range you are looking at? This could change the entire conversation.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For 100-200 yards a red dot or iron sights should be sufficient. I have no experience with a magnifier but have done some shooting at 200 yards with just iron sights. I believe you can get a scope mount that can be removed and put back on without affecting zero. A magnifier sounds like it could also be a good fit but I don't have any experience with them.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
JGR

Likes Given: 2

For 100 yards a red dot is really all you need unless you want to try and shoot little groups. I'm able to make consistent hits on steel plates out to 300 yards with my AR pistol (11 1/2" barrel) and an aimpoint T1.

If you're looking to get a scope also and switch back and forth between optics I highly recommend getting a good quick disconnect scope mount and red dot mount (LaRue, ADM, Bobro) to make sure you keep a proper zero with each optic. It's also important to mark the exact placement on the rail that you mount each optic as you can have variances in the rail that can affect your zero. I actually just use a paint marker to mark the spot on the rail where the mount sits.

As for magnifiers I have never tried one so I can't give you any info. But for scopes what kind of price range are you looking at?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone
For 100-200 yards a red dot or iron sights should be sufficient. I have no experience with a magnifier but have done some shooting at 200 yards with just iron sights. I believe you can get a scope mount that can be removed and put back on without affecting zero. A magnifier sounds like it could also be a good fit but I don't have any experience with them.
Up until last year, in the Marine Corps most Marines qualified out to 500 yards with iron sights on both the m4 and m16. This will be my first year qualifying with a scope.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfev1980 View Post
Up until last year, in the Marine Corps most Marines qualified out to 500 yards with iron sights on both the m4 and m16. This will be my first year qualifying with a scope.
Times are-a-change'n. W/ the outstanding quality manufacturers are putting into optics there is no reason to not run one. The pros are immense.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Times are-a-change'n. W/ the outstanding quality manufacturers are putting into optics there is no reason to not run one. The pros are immense.
Thats true. I was just pointing out that with good fundamentals and a little practice you can go from 0-500 yards with iron sights. I'm so comfortable qualifying with iron sights at this point I'd prefer them for qual over an acog. That doesn't mean iron sights are better, I've just been shooting with them for 13 years...lol.

Kind of like when I went from an m-16 to an m4 I shot sharpshooter after ten years of expert. And it was the short shot (200yd line) that killed me. Just a confidence thing.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfev1980

Thats true. I was just pointing out that with good fundamentals and a little practice you can go from 0-500 yards with iron sights. I'm so comfortable qualifying with iron sights at this point I'd prefer them for qual over an acog. That doesn't mean iron sights are better, I've just been shooting with them for 13 years...lol.

Kind of like when I went from an m-16 to an m4 I shot sharpshooter after ten years of expert. And it was the short shot (200yd line) that killed me. Just a confidence thing.
It's a matter of what you are used to.

It is my opinion that optics are faster and have a higher ceiling when it comes to overall performance.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."