Sighting a new AR

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Sighting a new AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
BTI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sighting a new AR

I am new to the rifle world. I mostly shoot handguns & shotguns. I joined a club that I now have access to a 25, 50, 100 & 200 yard range. So I decided to build an AR. Finished it last week and finally took it to the 25 & 50 yard range. It shot very tight groups but kept hitting low center. Any tricks on how to zero an AR-15. I am currently using magpul gen 2 front & rear sights. I planned on getting better optics but my wife found all the receipts for how it sits now. Let's just say I thought the 1st round was going to use on me (lol).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

not positive if those sights are the same as the standard front sight post. if they are then you should be able to rotate the front post to change elevation. only use the elevation on the rear sight when moving from 100 to say 300 yards. for a good zero adjust the front sight pin.. make it go down if you want the bullet impact to go up. it has a button and notches. you can use many different things to adjust the sight. pens,bullet tips, big laundry pins. you have to depress the button and rotate the post. if the sights are not like the standard front sight. i have no idea. good luck

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's what I found over at the Magpul site:

"The front uses a standard square front sight post, which can be adjusted with a 4-prong M16 sight adjustment tool. For each 1/4 rotation, the POI is moved approximately 1-7/8" at 100 meters, based on a 14.5" M4 sight radius."

"TheRear MBUS - The rear MBUS has a windage adjustment knob on the right side that adjusts the POI approximately 3/4" at 100 meters for each click. Both large and small apertures are provided; the small aperture flips forward out of the way, rather than rearward, and can be left down when stowing the sight."

To move the point of impact up, you rotate the front sight post clockwise. Down would obviously be counterclockwise.

Most people like a 50 /200 yard zero on their AR-15's in 5.56 cal.. The above adjustments will yield about half the distance of bullet impact movement indicated at 50 yards.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 03-17-2012 at 04:00 AM.