Sight Geometry - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Sight Geometry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Please don't underestimate the levels of cheapness to which I can stoop. I have a $40 Tasco red dot sight and an Ncstar scope. The scope and the red dot work well enough. My marksmanship needs much improvement before I start worrying about expensive optics. I just wanted to get on the range and start killing paper.

The last time I fired anything other than a .22, was Desert Storm. We got to qual with .45's and got to fire a "familiarization" with M-1 garands, loaded them from stripper clips and everything. The gunnersmates wouldn't let us touch the M-14's.

All that being said, my rifle marksmanship skills that I learned in Jrotc have now seriously deteriorated. Once I broke down and used the elevation wheel on the rear sight I was knocking the hell out of the bulls eye at 25 yards. I want to be that accurate on the same size target at 100 yards before I start dumping more money into "good" optics. If I then outgrow those I will push the budget for better optics then. I really have little use for a gun that is more accurate than I can shoot it.

I know that that last statement will ruffle some feathers. I already know that this gun is capable of much more accuracy than my meager skills can produce or my meager budget can support. But like all of my other hobbies, I will do what I can with my available resources. If a hobby starts to put a major strain on my finances it ceases to be fun......I wanna keep this fun.

Vince

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Well have fun with the irons on your AR, Vince. And the RIBZ or IBZ. I was amazed what you can do with A2 style sights.

Even though I'm aware of the advantages of optics I'm in no rush to drop big bucks on them yet when irons work so well.