Sig 556. What are your opinions?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Sig 556. What are your opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sig 556. What are your opinions?

Instead of building another AR-15, I was considering purchasing a Sig 556 rifle because off the price drop. I can get one for about $900.00 now (which is less than what I spent on my last AR build).

Now, it's not all about the value that is selling me on this gun. The sig 556 seems like a pretty solid gun. I held one and it feels pretty good in my hands.

I wanted some opinions about the Sig 556 from you guys before I go through with anything.

Anyone fired one before?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Never shot one, but I've been researching them for a while now and wouldn't hesitate one bit on buying one at that price!

In fact I hope I don't see one at that number, because my gun plans will most likely change immediately! I like Sigs regardless, but the 556 is just a great gun. Magazines are far superior to that of the AR-15 and everything I've read, praises their reliability, usage and accuracy. It is not a tack driver, but 1.5-2 MOA is good enough for me out of a piston gun. It's not that much off from an AR and I am a believer in the system to the point that I'd sacrifice another .5-1 MOA spread to trade for all the benefits.

GO FOR IT!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 777 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Personally I wouldn't be interested, I think the AR is a better design. But lots of people love the SIG.

Here's a long thread on the SIG 556:
Thoughts on SIG 556 - M4Carbine.net Forums

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I shot one, cousin bought it. Shoots like a ar to me at least. It's really not that different.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6362 Times on 3375 Posts
Likes Given: 470

personally not a fan of the sig556. ive heard they function well. i personally dont like the ergonomics. gotta reach over the rifle with the left to charge it or use your right hand to charge it relinquishing hold of the grip if your right handed. the whole feel of the rifle seems like a slow pointer to me.

if you like the sig556 thats a killer price and they are super easy to sell if you dont end up liking it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 AM   #6

Likes Given: 2

I like the idea of them, I am a SIG fan, I have never shot one, But I have handled one or two, My biggest gripe with my experience is they rattle to no end, That I found to be somewhat disappointing

Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
personally not a fan of the sig556. ive heard they function well. i personally dont like the ergonomics. gotta reach over the rifle with the left to charge it or use your right hand to charge it relinquishing hold of the grip if your right handed. the whole feel of the rifle seems like a slow pointer to me.
My left-handedness may have influenced my opinion a bit, but i believe the gun's handling can be improved with easy mods, just like the AR.

I'm sure it's not hard to get used to as many government and LEO agencies have picked it up and had success with it?

Now I really want to shoot one!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #8

Have the 556 classic myself. The primary reason I bought it was because I have heard some chatter that a silencer will work better on a piston gun than on a Gas Impingment system. I have been playing around with it for a month now and have yet to shoot the thing. Ergonomics are very good but it is heavy. At around eight pounds it is equal to my M1A when stripped and a person gets a 308 instead of a 556.

I like light carbine style weapons and must say for the right combination of weight, bullet and overall function I will take my CZ 58 over almost any other gun. It would be the first to take in a pinch.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #9

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great rifle, much better than an AR.