sig 556 or build my own AR? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > sig 556 or build my own AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #21
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

For whatever reason, the videos of the 458 don't seem to have the impact that the Beowulf has...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe that if you cant kill whatever your shooting at in 1 shot with either one of those you probably should not be shooting at it...and you probably should be running.

there both awesome and I would love either of them. but in true redneck fashion Im leanin toward Beowulf... why is 20 rounds of .50 cal beo cheaper than 20 round of 6.5 grendal? i dunno but i like it

Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question. I have been reading alot of build threads and in alot of the you all recommend building your lower and buying a complete upper. Why is that? Im 99.99% sure that if i can disassemble my 351w in my bronco or do a complete build of my 77cj5 that i can put together a upper reciever.

Havin said that Im looking at gettin my lower to start piecing together my ar. tryin to keep the total build around 1k-1200 whats a good lower to get?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
Question. I have been reading alot of build threads and in alot of the you all recommend building your lower and buying a complete upper. Why is that? Im 99.99% sure that if i can disassemble my 351w in my bronco or do a complete build of my 77cj5 that i can put together a upper reciever.

Havin said that Im looking at gettin my lower to start piecing together my ar. tryin to keep the total build around 1k-1200 whats a good lower to get?
The reason you see recommendations on buying an upper is merely because of the gas system and the timing. It's not difficult, but it can be frustrating if you get the wrong part. Also, with a purchased upper, you get the benefit of having it correctly headspaced, timed and tuned. On a build, you have to do that.

How hard is that? It isn't. The AR barrel has a shoulder on it, and the lower receiver has a lip. You insert the barrel to the lip and it's 98% of the time headspaced correctly. Very rarely do you have a problem.

On the timing, well, you can encounter issues as there are several different size and weight springs that go into the math, but usually you can swag it out pretty close.

So, to answer your question, it's safer for the forum to recommend a tuned upper because of liability issues.

Any lower that isn't pot metal chinese crap will suit your needs. Anything that is forged is fine, anything that is CNC Billet is better, but much more expensive.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for a quick reply. makes good sense to me now that you explain it that way. i have a list of parts that im looking at and on ar15builder.com it run about 1400 im sure if i shop around i can get them cheaper. but are there any companies that i should just plain stay away from all together? most are bigger companies like dd and beaver creek dpms and things of that nature, just in-case i go to the gun show and find something i want i know wither its worth it or not. you get what you pay for right? lol

Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah i think im up to the challange and i would love to know all the ins and outs of my ar. plus then i can start building them for buddies. i want to assemble at least one of my own uppers since i will probably buy one or 2 uppers in different calibers just for sng...

and i might be able to aquire all the necessary tools thru work. they got thru them like butter we get new ones in all the time and toss the old ones.

and even if i were to start jonesing i dont have anywhere that i can really shoot without paying range fees and since im from tn were the range is your back yard that just seems stupid to me really.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the heads up. i will keep a eye out for those guys and steer clear. im in a debate right now i have a friend from yuma that can pick up a lower for me this weekend or i can just wait and go to the gun show at the first of oct and look for it myself. oh the decisions not in a big hurry since i am gonna be doing a slow build (6-12 months slow ugh) gonna really shop around and look for deals to keep the cost down.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so can some one tell me tell me advantage of a cnc over a forged lower. if cnc is the best and i can find one cheap id gladly get the top of the line right off.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
so can some one tell me tell me advantage of a cnc over a forged lower. if cnc is the best and i can find one cheap id gladly get the top of the line right off.
As someone who works in the machining/manufacturing industry (although not in firearms), I'll tell you that forgings are stronger than a fully CNC'd piece of the same size and configuration. Fully CNC'd parts may look cooler and have some pretty fancy designs cut into them, but they are absolutely not stronger. Don't pass up a forged lower just because CNC looks cooler, unless that's what you want. All that said, MEGA makes some high quality, wicked cool looking lowers (and uppers).

Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok cool. after i started doin some more research last night thats was the general answer i got from other places. some say cnc is better for accuracy but me personally i like cheap and stronger and dependable. one reason i will probably go with di and not a gas piston setup.