Originally Posted by fordracing
What is a reflex drill?
Also called updrills.
-You either use 1 large target with different numbered target circles on it .. or different targets that are numbered.
- you stand + face off to the side from the target w/o looking at the target(s) holding your rifle at the patrol ready.
- Your buddy yells a number at you
- You turn and engage that target.
- usually with a pair of rounds
- A common variation is he can yell 2 numbers at you and you engage the first number with a fast immediate pair (think suppression) and the second number you go take a pair of aimed shots a bit slower making sure you hit the circle..
- for your 2nd pair u may take a knee or even go prone... or not, whichever way u guys are doing it that day.
- This way you are training not just your ability to align your sights and sqeeze the trigger but also you train reacting to throw your rifle into position and acquire a target.
You really need 2 people for it to work ( one guy yells the random number(s) )
BUT in a pinch if you dont have a buddy you can just face away and then think of a number.
I do these almost weekly, this is how the better army units sometimes train as well as a lot of other "cool kids" units and civilan SWAT teams also do these.
Its a good drill that will get you a lot of training value without extreme facilities.
the next Step up form there are classes like this:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/just-got-done-weekend-maxvelocitys-combat-carbine-class-100849/