Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > SIG 516 after 1030 rds of no cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Is it possible that the ammo is just too soft?
I'm using PMC 223. It was $7 a box before 2 Novembers ago so I would stock up on it.
I know that when I owned a 22lr rifle, there was failures to feed because the cartridge would just bend.
Anyone else having these troubles?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 860

No, PMC 55 gr is bread n butter average. I happen to be a 516 certified operator, shot that ammo a lot. Assuming ur 4 positional valve in the correct setting.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #23

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

Hey if you are a SIG 516 guru :
Can you tell me where to get a spare part for that roller pin?

I hear sig doesnt sell it but its available COTS.
Also Do you have any input as to wear parts?

I suppose the piston spring.. Anything else?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 02-23-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Not even an armorer. Only trained to handle it. Parts wear will take thousands of rounds fired, with proper maintenance, I was told. It's an awesome system. Noticed how most ARs came down in price? The 516 went up a couple hundred.

Which roll pin you mean, the cam roll pin? And for parts, SIG Pro Shop in Epping NH carries some, I'd call them. They have a busy showroom so be patient. Can't link now but later if u want.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #25

I dont know if thats what its called. Its the one in the piston system.
I heard that hardware store have it COTS but even so I'd like to have an extra of those in the grip and an extra piston spring in the grip as well.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The 516 upper is proprietary, afaik sig will only sell a complete upper. I wanted to replace the quad rail (easy, right?) but was told its integral, no chance.

The pin you are (probably) referring to is the cam pin. You can have a roller cam pin replacement for $20some. It supposedly prevents gouging of the inside of the receiver. I have not seen that happen but the part is available. You'd know soon if your receiver is getting beat up by the BCG.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #27

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So I recently bought a 516 as well. First thing I did with it was run reflex drills with some buddies. Ate ammo, ran pretty well. Couple of weeks later I decided to go zero it properly. 22 clicks to the left later I figure out the gas block is offset to the left almost a 1/16 of an inch. At a 100 yards it won't even hit paper on a silhouette. Contacted Sig and have a shipping label, just a little disappointed in what I hoped would be my go to rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #28

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

What is a reflex drill?

Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing View Post
What is a reflex drill?
Also called updrills.

-You either use 1 large target with different numbered target circles on it .. or different targets that are numbered.

- you stand + face off to the side from the target w/o looking at the target(s) holding your rifle at the patrol ready.

- Your buddy yells a number at you

- You turn and engage that target.

- usually with a pair of rounds

- A common variation is he can yell 2 numbers at you and you engage the first number with a fast immediate pair (think suppression) and the second number you go take a pair of aimed shots a bit slower making sure you hit the circle..

- for your 2nd pair u may take a knee or even go prone... or not, whichever way u guys are doing it that day.

- This way you are training not just your ability to align your sights and sqeeze the trigger but also you train reacting to throw your rifle into position and acquire a target.

You really need 2 people for it to work ( one guy yells the random number(s) )
BUT in a pinch if you dont have a buddy you can just face away and then think of a number.

I do these almost weekly, this is how the better army units sometimes train as well as a lot of other "cool kids" units and civilan SWAT teams also do these.

Its a good drill that will get you a lot of training value without extreme facilities.

the next Step up form there are classes like this:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/just-got-done-weekend-maxvelocitys-combat-carbine-class-100849/

And this:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/my-second-max-velocity-combat-rifle-class-102028/

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Last edited by bluez; 03-09-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 AM   #30

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Also called updrills.

-You either use 1 large target with different numbered target circles on it .. or different targets that are numbered.

- you stand + face off to the side from the target w/o looking at the target(s) holding your rifle at the patrol ready.

- Your buddy yells a number at you

- You turn and engage that target.

- usually with a pair of rounds

- A common variation is he can yell 2 numbers at you and you engage the first number with a fast immediate pair (think suppression) and the second number you go take a pair of aimed shots a bit slower making sure you hit the circle..

- for your 2nd pair u may take a knee or even go prone... or not whichever way u guys are doing it that day.

- This way you are training not just your ability to align your sights and sqeeze the trigger but also you train reacting to throw your rifle into position and acquire a target.

You really need 2 people for it to work ( one guy yells the random number(s) )
BUT in a pinch if you dont have a buddy you can just face away and then think of a number.

I do these almost weekly, this is how the better army units sometimes train as well as a lot of other "cool kids" units and civilan SWAT teams also do these.

Its a good drill that will get you a lot of training value without extreme facilities.

the next Step up form there are classes like this:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/just-got-done-weekend-maxvelocitys-combat-carbine-class-100849/

And this:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/my-second-max-velocity-combat-rifle-class-102028/

Yep, we also set up a small course to run since we were out in the sticks on a friends land. Makes ya feel your age the next day, that's for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk