SIG 516 after 1030 rds of no cleaning - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > SIG 516 after 1030 rds of no cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

The PMC X-Tac is nice ammo, laquered and crimped primers, annealed brass and crimped bullet. I will be buying buy more of it. If it was true SS109 it would be loaded to NATO pressures and velocity. My SS109 is British Radway Green 1991, most accurate 62 gr. I've shot, no green paint on the tip but has the penetrator core,it gets full velocity @ just over 3000 fps. So I am saving it and using the PMC for now.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #12

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Its a little more demanding to make SS109/M855 Ammo accurate despite the perceived advantage of 62 grain when paired with 1/7 barrels (dont get me started on this)

Adding penetrator to a bullet creates more opportunties for error in the making of the round.
That's why , all things being equal in price/quality, a 55gr should be more accurate with 1/9 barrel than a 62gr with a 1/7 barrel though in the real world differences are often too slight to measure and amount to "noise".

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 131 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

My gf dad has a sig and it looks nothing like that. It doesn't have a charging handle or anything. You pull the action open from the side. What is the difference?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
My gf dad has a sig and it looks nothing like that. It doesn't have a charging handle or anything. You pull the action open from the side. What is the difference?
He has a Sig556.
it is very c;lose to the Swiss Army rifle though not identical.
I've owned both I very much prefer the 516 over the 556

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I did the same thing with a Sig 556. 1000rds no malfunctions of any type. Guess the Sig's are keepers

Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #16

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

So I took my 516 to the range today, and was there about 10 minutes. I didn't get through one mag and the thing just stopped feeding altogether. Wouldn't feed with the charging handle. Wouldn't feed with the bolt release. Every round got hung up trying to feed.Borrowed some lube from the range officer and it still wouldn't work.
I called Sig when I got home and they're going to to look at it. I would grade today's customer service experience an A
Nothing but problems from this rifle since I got it. I'm having thoughts of trading it in when I get it back.
The service rep asked how many rounds I had through it, because of the " break in period".
He also asked if I had cleaned the rifle. But they advertise it can go thousands of round without cleaning. I guess I got a bad one. It happens. I'm just venting. It wasn't a cheap gun

Old 02-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2025 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing View Post
So I took my 516 to the range today, and was there about 10 minutes. I didn't get through one mag and the thing just stopped feeding altogether. Wouldn't feed with the charging handle. Wouldn't feed with the bolt release. Every round got hung up trying to feed.Borrowed some lube from the range officer and it still wouldn't work.
I called Sig when I got home and they're going to to look at it. I would grade today's customer service experience an A
Nothing but problems from this rifle since I got it. I'm having thoughts of trading it in when I get it back.
The service rep asked how many rounds I had through it, because of the " break in period".
He also asked if I had cleaned the rifle. But they advertise it can go thousands of round without cleaning. I guess I got a bad one. It happens. I'm just venting. It wasn't a cheap gun
Did you try to top off the mag and shoot again?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing View Post
I am so sorry to hear that.
I had nothing but pleasure out of mine.
Bad feeding is difficult to explain.

Sometimes a new gun wont fully cycle and feed the next round , especially with softer ammo like PMC bronze (not Xtac) or Tula etc.
But it does not sound like that is your problem

Failure to feed in an AR15 is often a magazine issue. Did you try different mags?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:

Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #19

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Yeah. I go to the range with about six mags already loaded. Time saving thing. I tried them all.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2025 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

If it cycles the first few round and then stops, I'd open up and clean that mag first. That done, it may be time for a new mag spring or a new mag. You didn't say if they are milsurps or what. Rule the mag issue out before sending the rifle away.