Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Sig 516 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/sig-516-a-98383/)

AznZOhAn 10-09-2013 09:22 AM

Sig 516

It's been a long time since I've been on here and I apologize. I am seeking experience and knowledge. I own 3 DI ARs and the Sig 516 is peeking my interest for first piston AR. Does anybody have experience with the 516 and if so I'd like some opinions of the rifle.

bluez 10-09-2013 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a SIG 516 ( among other hi end AR's) and its one of my favorites.

Tho I am right handed I still like the ambi mag release the the mounting hole in the lower for quick release sling.
The adjustable gas valve lets you change your setting if you are shooting low powered ammo ( think tula 223)

Barrel is CHF.

Mercator 10-09-2013 02:59 PM

A fine rifle. Nose heavy compared to a DI AR15. The only rational reason to choose it over SIGs own M400 is using a suppressor. Cleaning is a zero sum game- less fouling in the chamber but a dirty piston assembly. The gas valve is otherwise of no use to a civilian shooter. Tula ammo in .223 will cycle with normal gas pressures, it does not require valve adjustments. (Shooting steel cases from the rifle you paid for is debatable but is not the topic here)

samnev 10-09-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluez (Post 1396340)

Tho I am right handed I still like the ambi mag release the the mounting hole in the lower for quick release sling.
The adjustable gas valve lets you change your setting if you are shooting low powered ammo ( think tula 223)

Barrel is CHF.

Same here, I also own several High end AR's and the SIG 516 is one of my favorites,

samnev 10-09-2013 06:02 PM

Sig 516 gtg

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluez (Post 1396340)

Barrel is CHF.

Same here, I also own several High end AR's and the SIG 516 is one of my favorites. :)

AznZOhAn 10-09-2013 06:09 PM

I have 2 M400s that I am very fond of. I set a trust for NFA weapons and mods, and I wanted the 516 to suppress and SBR.

Mercator 10-09-2013 07:06 PM

Closing the gas regulator will turn the 516 into a bolt action rifle, very quiet with a can on. It is like having 2 rifles in 1, a semiauto carbine for off hand drills, and a bolt action compact rifle for precision shooting. Then you can have a red dot and a scope, both QD, and you got an all-in-one can-do package.

AgentTikki 10-09-2013 07:48 PM

get an hk :D

Jagermeister 10-09-2013 07:50 PM

Sorry Tikki, Sig is better then HK. Of course, Hera Arms is better. I shot all three brands before making my decision. Yet, you can not get Hera Arms in the US. So, I would next choose a Sig Desert Patrol. Accurate as hell. Not as front barrel heavy.

bluez 10-09-2013 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The adjustable gas regulator gives me a lot of peace of mind for SHTF ammo.

I recently didnt clean the inside of hte rifle for over 1000 rds and other than the excess oil, it had no caked on crud at all.
Everything was just spray and wipe.

last nite I took off the piston system .
Not cleaned for 2000 rds , I should have taken pics before I cleaned it but it needed hardly any cleaning at all.:)

LWRC is also real nice but the main thing they have on the SIG is the NiCorr vs chromed barrel treatment.
The lower on the SIG is very feature rich and nicer than most other AR's.
Am looking to replace trade the LWRC lower on my LWRC with a Sig516 lower, rght now actually.

I really do think the SIG 516 lower is one of the best money can buy.
I forgot to mention the best part too!.
it has pressure pins that act against the takedown pins to stiffen up the rifle as a result NO AR slop between upper and lower :):)

Added another pic.