Shouldering a sig arm brace?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Shouldering a sig arm brace?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Shouldering a sig arm brace?

After doing some research I came to the conclusion it is legal to shoulder the sig arm brace. Say I bought this arm brace and was shouldering it on a 11.5'' barrel ar15. Do you guys think someone would question me at the range? Would it be smart to keep the letter from the atf to sig printed out and in the car? Whats your guys opinions on this? I am trying to what size upper to get? This seems like it would be more fun to shoot but less practical.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21490 Times on 12204 Posts
Likes Given: 53522

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
After doing some research I came to the conclusion it is legal to shoulder the sig arm brace. Say I bought this arm brace and was shouldering it on a 11.5'' barrel ar15. Do you guys think someone would question me at the range? Would it be smart to keep the letter from the atf to sig printed out and in the car? Whats your guys opinions on this? I am trying to what size upper to get? This seems like it would be more fun to shoot but less practical.
well of my best understanding the brace is for a pistol AR. at your age, you can't legally purchase a pistol or any lower to begin with. and you have to be 18 to purchase any long gun to begin with, 21 for pistols and recievers.

depending on the state you live in, you may not even be able to be in possession of a pistol without a parent or gaurdian around supervising. need to check your states laws.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #3

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts

What kind of research did you do? I am 99% sure it is illegal to shoulder it as insane as that is.

Molon Labe

Old 02-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well of my best understanding the brace is for a pistol AR. at your age, you can't legally purchase a pistol or any lower to begin with. and you have to be 18 to purchase any long gun to begin with, 21 for pistols and recievers.

depending on the state you live in, you may not even be able to be in possession of a pistol without a parent or gaurdian around supervising. need to check your states laws.
Lol I know this. My dad is purchasing the the lower and what not. Its not for me but that changes when I am 18 or in this case 21.
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21490 Times on 12204 Posts
Likes Given: 53522

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Lol I know this. My dad is purchasing the the lower and what not. Its not for me but that changes when I am 18 or in this case 21.
the answer wasn't totally directed at you. there are others here that are under the age of 18 and 21, plus when others are giving advice, it helps for them to know the age of the person they are giving advice to. age makes a huge difference as does location when answers are given.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the answer wasn't totally directed at you. there are others here that are under the age of 18 and 21, plus when others are giving advice, it helps for them to know the age of the person they are giving advice to. age makes a huge difference as does location when answers are given.
Oh yeah, I get what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
What kind of research did you do? I am 99% sure it is illegal to shoulder it as insane as that is.

Molon Labe

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/rabbi/gear-review-sig-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace/

He talks about it in the description. I also read the atf letter.

Plus there is plenty of videos showing people shouldering it and I have not heard about the atf complaining about it.

Keep in mind I drew my own conclusions, you can draw yours.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #7

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

The ATF classifies weapons and not how they are used. The brace is designed to assist firing a pistol so it does not change the classification of the firearm.
Using the brace to fire from the shoulder is not using the product as it was intended but not illegal that I am aware of.
If it turns out lots of people do use it to shoulder fire AR pistols, then the ATF can easily reverse their decision and these will all be illegal SBR's. So don't encourage them as I may want one someday!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5519 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

As above the atf doesn't care if you put the thing to your nose and shoot it.

There aren't idiots in the atf running the approval proccess even if an idiot is running the agency itself.

The letter itself is worth exactly the ammount of value as the ink and paper its made of in court of law. It doesn't mean just because its legal now it won't be illegal later. Just ask the residents of newyark how they are enjoying their ar15's...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #9

Liked 2127 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 463

People already shoulder bare buffer tubes. No real difference, if the part is considered an arm brace and not a stock.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #10

Liked 2127 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
As above the atf doesn't care if you put the thing to your nose and shoot it.

There aren't idiots in the atf running the approval proccess even if an idiot is running the agency itself.

The letter itself is worth exactly the ammount of value as the ink and paper its made of in court of law. It doesn't mean just because its legal now it won't be illegal later. Just ask the residents of newyark how they are enjoying their ar15's...
And Connecticut. With letters now sent out for confiscation, and letters for registration that were received late now being held as possible evidence of possession of an "assault" weapon or "high capacity" magazine that was not registered by the deadline.