Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Should I go with a 14.7 carbine or 16" mid-length?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Resident Lurker / Retro AR nut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 658 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Default Should I go with a 14.7 carbine or 16" mid-length?

I am debating on what upper to go with, I like both but I'm not sure if the 1.2 inch difference will be anything noticeable in terms of knockdown. I also don't know with 100% certainty if a permanently fixed flash hider would bother me or not. I am however 100% sure I want a bayonet, so it's 14.7 carbine or 16" middy.

Also, light or normal profile barrel? I know that the thicker barrels dissipate heat better, but is the extra weight worth it?

This AR-15 will be my go to gun. I want it to be fairly lightweight, but not feel like a toy. I want it to be for anything from HD to SHTF and everything in between. And it likely will be the only AR I ever own, suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Lighter barrels heat up faster, and cool down faster, so they dissipate heat better. Heavier profiles take longer to heat up, so resist groups opening up during long strings of fire.

All your other questions are answered in the link provided!

Hope it helps ya!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #4

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 686

In late 2010 I had that decision to make and went with 16" LW midlength. Never been sorry. Didn't want to permanently attach the muzzle device and wanted to shave off about 8 oz from the front of the rifle. And I like midlength gas in a 16" barrel.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Liked 16779 Times on 9727 Posts
Likes Given: 43807

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I am debating on what upper to go with, I like both but I'm not sure if the 1.2 inch difference will be anything noticeable in terms of knockdown. I also don't know with 100% certainty if a permanently fixed flash hider would bother me or not. I am however 100% sure I want a bayonet, so it's 14.7 carbine or 16" middy.

Also, light or normal profile barrel? I know that the thicker barrels dissipate heat better, but is the extra weight worth it?

This AR-15 will be my go to gun. I want it to be fairly lightweight, but not feel like a toy. I want it to be for anything from HD to SHTF and everything in between. And it likely will be the only AR I ever own, suggestions?
sounds like for your intended use the lighter weight barrel would be better, but get the 16", because with the 14.7" barrel, you will have to pin and weld the flashhider/muzzle brake on for it to be legal.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I had this exact same debate about 2 months ago and went went a lightweight 16" middy. No regrets at all. Once I find a compensator I really like I will probably get a 14.5" lightweight middy.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #7

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

I believe that you are really asking 2 separate question here...barrel length and gas system length. Carbine is a term that has come to describe both a short rifle and a 7" gas system on an AR. A true m4 carbine will have a 14.5" or shorter barrel but as stated that requires paperwork and a NFA stamp. As other have opined, your best all around GPR will have a 16" lw profile built on a mid length gas system. Unfortunately I believe that this precludes a lug mounted bayonet.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

For your first Id go w/ a 16". It'll make things easier as you figure out what works best for you. I personally like a 14.5 LW but admit the 16" is nice when it comes to swapping parts. There really isn't a difference in weight.

I'm curious as to what a bayonet brings to the table.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #9

Liked 16779 Times on 9727 Posts
Likes Given: 43807

i personally like the 16" barrel length as to the fact, i can use different muzzle brakes or flash hiders if i so choose to change them. anything less requires welding and pinning to be legal. if you get caught with a 14.5" barrel and the flash hider or muzzle brake isn't pinned and welded, you will be looking at some major jail time.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Resident Lurker / Retro AR nut

Liked 658 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
For your first Id go w/ a 16". It'll make things easier as you figure out what works best for you. I personally like a 14.5 LW but admit the 16" is nice when it comes to swapping parts. There really isn't a difference in weight.

I'm curious as to what a bayonet brings to the table.
I just like 'em, I put bayonets on all my rifles if I can help it. Even if there is no chance that they'd ever be used. If it has a bayonet lug, it gets one. I can understand the feeling that's its unnecessary though. Just a personal preference really.

You guys have pretty much convinced me to go with the middy 16" bbl, I prefer them aesthetically anyway, I just didn't know which was the better choice. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by sputnik1988; 04-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.