should I buy an olympic ar15 plinker
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > should I buy an olympic ar15 plinker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 291

Default should I buy an olympic ar15 plinker

I walked into my local gun-store yesterday, went in to buy some .45 acp. Remington Golden Sabers(which they did not have in stock) . I took my 13 year old along with me . He walked over to where the AR's were and asked for me to come over to look at a rifle. It is an Olympic arms 223/5.56 Plinker 16" with a heavy barrel 1x9 twist ratio for $625.

I picked it up, seemed like a fairly decent ar....I placed it on layaway and came home and started looking it up on the internet hoping to find more info on the quality of the Plinker. Needless to say, the reviews I have read were not positve. I had a similar experience while buying the Taurus Pt145...so far the PT is better than advertised.

The serial number starts with a wz and it has a date of 2009 on the lower. My questions are...is this AR considered a plinker plus? The reason I ask is some have forged receivers and others are cast. Would you trust this model to be just a range gun or is it viable for home defense duties?

I am on a limited budget and would buy a top shelf AR if I could...I do not plan on using it for a zombie apocalypse or tactical rifle classes. I just want to get a decent affordable AR.

I was in the army during the early 90's and have experience with M16 A1 and A2's....I know comparing the Plinker to those weapons is like comparing apples to oranges. The Plinker reminded me of my old A1...

Countries are eaten up by the parties they favor, and ravaged by the one they oppose. Fathers and sons, sheath their swords in anothers bowels in the field, and their wives and daughters are exposed to rudeness and lust of ruffians at home.~PHILANTHROPOS

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure that model has the forged receivers. It's as basic as you can get with an AR, an entry level model. And you're right, a few years back they did make them with the cast receivers, and there were some problems. But Oly learned from that and moved on to the forged receivers in the Plinkers.

I've got quite a few friends who swear by their Oly AR's, and I've shot a few of their's, too. Looks just like any other AR, operates the same way, fires the same rounds, and with each trigger pull. No, it's not a top-shelf model, but at that price, it wasn't designed to be.

I think you hit it right on the head. For something that you can use for plinking, some target shooting, and even for HD, that's pretty affordable.

Another option you have, buy a kit and put an AR together. That way, you get to see how it all fits and works together, you control the quality of assembly, you learn a lot about the gun and hot to fix it, and it's fun. Check out these sites:

Del-ton AR kits

Model 1 Sales

DPMS AR Kit

All you would need to do is go to your local gun shop and buy a AR Lower Receiver, everything else you need, as far as parts, are in the kit. Just an idea.

But if you already have money on the Oly, there really isn't anything wrong with that one. Don't worry about the naysayers and brand-jockeys out there. As long as it works when you want it to work, and does what you want it to do, that's all that should matter. Enjoy it and welcome to the disease.

Slo

Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I concur with everything Slo stated, I think you will be happy with your choice and it's use. It does sound like a Plinker Plus with what little information you provided and the price is not bad either!

AR15 Olympic Arms Plinker Plus 5.56

Let me Re-Welcome you and your son, to the wonderful world and fun of owning a black rife.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #4

oh yes.

oly's are pretty good ar's. yes they are forged now.

1st thing i'ed do with the plinker plus, [its the carbean right ?]

i'ed putt a government profile 1/7 twist 20 inch'barrel on there, swap out the handguards' and have the best cotton-pickin ''rifle'' known to man.

the A1 sights are the cats meow, set and forget. what more do you need ?
the .223 nato' is one flat shooting round out to 300 meters.

need a scope ? no problem !
get a A1 carry handle scope mount from tapco' [the new one's]
they snap in, and are super solid.

im a huge fan of the oly G.I. rifle' what more could anyone ask for ?

im just saying all this' cause ,,, looking back' that would be the road i wishes i'ed of taken.
would have saved a ton of money.

just KISS.
[keep it simple stupid] i hold to that. it works.

peabody

Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #5

Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
oh yes.

oly's are pretty good ar's. yes they are forged now.

peabody
I did not by the oly. I went over to an oly forum and talked to current owners and I also did some research online about Olympic ar's. The overall impression I got from people who have owned them is that they are decent rifles.

When I went back to the gun store, they had several AR's out on the rack. There was one used colt and several new rifles; an Armalite, a RRA, a Sabre, and the Oly. I Looked them over and decided to go with the Armalite! http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15A4CBA2K It was a couple hundred more than the Oly.

It has been a while since I initially posted this thread and I have almost 1000 rounds through my Armalite with no problems at all

Countries are eaten up by the parties they favor, and ravaged by the one they oppose. Fathers and sons, sheath their swords in anothers bowels in the field, and their wives and daughters are exposed to rudeness and lust of ruffians at home.~PHILANTHROPOS

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sounds like a moot point in this thread, but anyone interested in current quality of Olympic Arms AR's should do themselves a turn and read this thread by a member here who started down the "should I / Can I trust Olympic" and ended up a very happy customer.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/i-am-considering-purchasing-olympic-ar-good-still-sub-par-21667/

JD

Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5665 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 375

ill second dillinger on it. i have an olympic 45 acp upper and its a sweet shooter. took it to the range finally this past weekend first time in a very long while. convinced myself to keep it and maybe buy a dedicated lower for it. if they can build a 45 upper that works as well as any of my 5.56 ARs they can make a standard AR just fine.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...