Are shorter uppers better than standard?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Are shorter uppers better than standard?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Are shorter uppers better than standard?

I would like to shorten the length of my ar. Just wondering if shorter uppers will bring me the same accuracy for fairly long distance shots? Like 300 yards and closer. I'd like the maneuverability in tight places like my home, but I don't want to compromise my longer range capabilities. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

ninja,

First of all are you talking of physically shortening your present barrel or getting a shorter barreled upper. We need a little more information. Do you presently have a 20" Barrel? Is it chrome lined if you are going to shorten that barrel? Info and pictures would be nice then we can address the effects of a comparison between long and short barrels and the 300 and longer shots.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

How short are you talking ?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

My bcm 16" midlength does just fine getting hits on goblin sized targets out to 300yds open sights or with the acog using everything from 55grain fmj to 79grain bthp

Shorter than 16 has real issues with power levels at 300yds. The military 14.5 barrel is in my opinion too short for much more than 200yds. Its accurate enough just lacks the oomph to get the job done with thatshort a barrel.

So if your shtf self defense or trying to take a shot to drop any edible critter at longer ranges short barrels just dont get it done. Im into the nfa stuff and i see no use for a shtf rifle with a super short barrel. I think 16 is a great compromise between usable length velocity wise and terminal effect.

Just my non-proffessional opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-06-2012 at 04:35 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

The barrel on my ar is approx 17 in. I was planning on buying a whole new upper. I'm nowhere good enough to start physically altering any firearm nor do I gave the proper tools for the job. Lol um I was thinking about a 14 in barrel for tight spots. I'd like to take those tactical AR courses at some point n just thought it would b fun till then. Another quick question, how do I change the front sights or can I? Like I'd like an mp5 style front sight. U kno? Kinda looks like an upwards facing crescent moon with a vertical line down the center. Here's the pics u wanted. Thanks for halls help

image-228024358.jpg   image-3188797132.jpg  

Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A few thoughts first.
Comparing a short/shorter barrel to a long/longer barrel.
The longer barrel will give greater velocities. The longer barrel will have greater accuracy with iron/hard sights. Longer barrels some times appear to be more stable when sighting.
The shorter barrel is lighter. The shorter barrel is easier to maneuver. Optic sights don't care what the length of the barrel might be. Accuracy is not dependent upon barrel length.

I am not a lawyer.... But, cutting a barrel down to shorter than what ever arbitrary length is set (16 inches) could very well get a long term reservation at my expense in the 'cross bar hotel'. Check the present legalities first, then think hard about just how much you think shortening may improve what ever.

Oh, I'll bet that your barrel length is closer to 16 inches, not counting any attached and removable flash hider.

I think you would be better off by going the legal 'Short Barrel Rifle' route.

Take great care.

Enjoy,

OSOK

m72law Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

Ya I don't want to chop my gun up I just want a new and separate upper that is shorter.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9172 Times on 3960 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

If you REPLACE an upper, then it should have the correct gas tube to make your rifle function.

If you SHORTEN a barrel, by cutting it yourself, then you will likely have (a) a bad crown on the barrel that will screw up accuracy, and (b) a gas system that no longer cycles your rifle.

A barrel that is shorter than 16 inches on a rifle (including a non-removable flash suppressor/ muzzle brake) moves your rifle into a Class III group- short barreled rifle. Regulated much like a machine gun- if not registered with the BATFE and the $200 tax paid before hand, good for 10 years in a Federal prison, $10,000 fine, and loss of your girlish laughter.

Not that you asked for my opinion, but I think you might be trying to do too many things with one firearm. For the cost of trying to make a Swiss Army knife out of your AR, you can buy a decent pump shotgun. As far as agility of use, unless I am inside of an armored vehicle, MY plan is to get to where I need to be in the house, and WAIT.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

True that. Lol you sound like a close friend of mine. He also likes wolves. Thanks for your input. I had no clue about those laws. I guess I'll stick with my 16 in barrel

Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Here's the thing that most people don't really understand. They think that a shorter barrel is less accurate.

All else being equal, a shorter barrel is less flexible. Less flexible means more consistent. More consistent translates to better precision/accuracy. So quite the opposite of popular newbie belief, shorter barrels are inherently more accurate than longer barrels.

So why do people us longer barrels for long distance shooting?

The longer the barrel more time the expanding gases (created by the ignition of gunpowder) has to push the bullet. The faster the bullet the more energy it has on impact. The faster it travels, the less effect gravity and wind have on it, so its easier to reach out for longer distances. But since longer barrels are more flexible, you'd have to compensate by making the barrel thicker to make it stiffer, and more consistent.

A 25/300, zero will make 300 yard shots a breeze. A 14.5 or 16 barrel will do this easily. Hitting the target that is. As for the terminal ballistics of a M193 5.56 55 grain round at those distances, well that's an entirely different topic.