Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Short stroke problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Short stroke problem

A customer brought me a AR -15 that he built his self. He said it was short stroking. So I disassembled it and done gas checks, I also check to see if there was drag on the bolt and buffer tube. I also checked alignment on his gas block . He did have alot of tension on his delta rings from his forearms being slightly to long ,and I had noticed his gas block had slid forward. So I shaved a lil off his forearm and put it back together and test fired it and still same problem. Can anyone help. His barrel is a daniel defense. S&W lower and upper, magpul stocks and buffer. He didn't tell me were he got his internals. Any info would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

if its a carbine tube check for rifle tube recoil spring and or rifle length buffer.

loose gas key is another issue area. ive had to redo bcg gas keys for friends on dpms rifles.

wrong diameter gas block can be an issue especially if its a off brand. check outside diameter of the barrel at the gas port and inside diameter of the gasblock.

take the bolt out of the bcg check for binding on the gaskey and gas tube as the carrier moves back and forth.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I took the bolt apart and checked binding and buffer spring they r good I even put hos upper on my lower and same issue but my upper on his lower worked fine so I narrowed it down to some were in the upper

Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Gas rings aligned?

Old 06-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2434 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

I have the same problem.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

rockratt Likes This 
Old 06-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

I would pull the carrier take the key off . Get a couple new screws and put a thin coat of loctite on the base of the key, tighten it up and let it dry. Sounds like its leaking at the key . Gas ring alignment don't worry about . If it still malfunctions after that check gas hole size and make sure there isn't any burrs in The gas hole or gas block holes.
Is this a new upper or used ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have disassembled the bolt and checked for leaks I proven the bolt out because I but my bolt in his gun and it would eject the shell but not extract another.before it wouldn't even eject the shell

Old 06-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #8

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Possible buffer spring being too stiff--change to known good one to check. Too heavy of buffer. These however wouldn't prevent shell extraction as you've tested. Who makes the BCG?

Bad gas block drilling(oversized gas tube port) or it's alignment to barrel gas port.

I wouldn't think with a quality barrel like DD that they would drill too small gas hole, but I would check. Bad gas tube? Do you notice any odd residues around the gas block/tube, or barrel extension that shouldn't be there?

Don't worry about gas rings being aligned. Once installed in Carrier, those gaps close, that's why you have resistance when installing.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I switched buffer and spring from my AR to his and it didn't make no difference I have never had this much trouble out of one im stumped

Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 AM   #10

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I noticed you said you swapped Bolts(yours for his to test), but you didn't mention whether you swapped complete BCGs? It's possible there's a problem with his carrier, while his bolt is good.

Do a swap out of known good complete BCG to see if it clears up the problem. If not, you eliminated that aspect, which means there's a gassing problem since you swapped buffer/spring components to check.

I just thought of something. Have you inspected the interior of Upper Receiver for odd markings of severe rubbing. This would say the receiver isn't milled correctly and is putting the brakes on the Carrier from operating smoothly like it should. If you know the interior measurements of receiver, use digital caliper and compare with others. It may just be too tight.

Of course, we're like you---check this/that and eliminate before moving on.