Shopping Around - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Shopping Around

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Don't know about any warranties. Assembled ARs come with warranties?
DOH!!! Yes...most do

Old 03-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #12

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
DOH!!! Yes...most do
Wonder if the separate "big" parts for the assembly (bolt carrier group, trigger assembly, etc.) come with individuals warranties? I don't remember. Don't think you'd really need a warranty for the stripped lower receiver, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Wonder if the separate "big" parts for the assembly (bolt carrier group, trigger assembly, etc.) come with individuals warranties? I don't remember. Don't think you'd really need a warranty for the stripped lower receiver, but I could be wrong.
Depending on the parts and manufacturers. Some offer a few months to lifetime, others have stipulations, as to who puts the parts together (assembler), etc. Some offer nothing, you are on your own. So it pays to buy from reputable sources.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Am I going to be better off buying the pieces, like the uppers and lowers off the internet or should I still go through my local dealer? and if I do this i could buy a 6.8 setup still or would i be brand limited on the production of those parts still as I am with the completed rifles?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
Am I going to be better off buying the pieces, like the uppers and lowers off the internet or should I still go through my local dealer? and if I do this i could buy a 6.8 setup still or would i be brand limited on the production of those parts still as I am with the completed rifles?
The only part you may have to go through a dealer with...is your lower receiver. That is the only part that gets a background check and registered. Unless of course you happen to be a licensed dealer.

The rest of the gun you can buy anywhere. I have bought most of my parts, including complete uppers, trigger kits, lower parts kits, stocks, grips, handguards, back up iron sights, etc, on-line with NO issues. most of the parts are easier to find online than at your local shops anyway.

One of the links I listed above is for a complete 6.8 upper assembly. DPMS is not the only one in the game for those. You can also buy complete Rock River 6.8 uppers, Stag 6.8 uppers, etc.

It all depends on what you feel you need and like. Some folks HAVE to have a particular brand, others, realize that the name on the side is just a roll-mark (brand name) and it's what is INSIDE that makes the gun. But like I said, you can buy complete uppers, that way, you are simply pulling the two pins and installing the upper of choice on your lower, which is a very easy way to be able to swap between the 5.56 and 6.8, too. Just buy one of each upper.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are the Rainier uppers more expensive because they come with the free floating quad rails already? that's an upgrade i'm going to make anyway.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Are the Rainier uppers more expensive because they come with the free floating quad rails already? that's an upgrade i'm going to make anyway.
They run a little higher due to overall quality of ALL the components they use. They don't cut corners, and the folks that do their assemblies are all top-notch folks with LOTS of experience, most are MIL or LEO's.

Slo

Old 03-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Check these guys out

Bison Armory

Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-build-ar-lower-receiver-4987/