Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Shooting an AR-15 on BLM Property

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting an AR-15 on BLM Property

Just wondering If Anyone Knows if you can Target Shoot With an Ar-15 On BLM Property With out Getting In trouble? My AR Is registered With DOJ And was planning on a shooting trip In Mariposa County ,CA at the end of this month. I Was starting to think i Should just leave it at home to avoid any Problems with fish and Game Or any other Law enforcment. Its Just Not As much fun with out the Ar..lol I know Target shooting and Hunting Is allowed At these locations just not Clear on What kind of weapons you can Shoot there.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1303 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 151

It depends on the local laws. Call a BLM office and ask if you can shoot in a particular area and also ask for the specific code, statute or law that specifically says it's OK to target shoot. Print that stuff out and have it with you in case a LEO shows up. I've heard from many sources that it often is legal.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #3

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Call BLM for permission in certian areas. Also reference 12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
Look in section 12285 for permitted usage................

"ALWAYS" be carefull in this communist state, as most Law Enforcement you come in contact with "DO NOT" know enough about Calif. gun laws and make many bad arrests based on their limited or lack of knowledge of Calif. gun laws !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim...............

Old 05-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Thanks For the Help guys!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #5

I just spoke to the Mariposa Sheriffs office about this, They Said its fine and just keep the DOJ Paper work with me. They also said just use common sense when shooting and we will be fine. He also asked me if it was fully auto or semi I told him its semi ......No worries

Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #6

Default Shooting on BLM

In the past you could shoot almost anywhere on BLM land, things have changed. BLM is still shooter friendly, however it is worth a phone call to the office to find out where it is legal to shoot. The BLM people generally know the best spots anyway, so you may find out about a place better than the one you are thinking of. I believe the Motherlode office is the correct one.

Things the Rangers look for:
1-Are you shooting safely, a good backstop is a must. There are plenty of hills on BLM so shouldn't be a problem.
2-DOJ paperwork, so have it ready.
3-Tracers and steel core ammo, these are a fire hazzard and they come with hefty fines.
4-Your targets, one of the reasons BLM has closed many historic shooting areas is the mess, clean up after yourself and there will be no issues.