Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Shooting Accuracy - What Am I Doing Wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have to agree with those suggesting that your sight picture might be off when you're standing.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #12

Thanks for all of the great advice. I used the 50 yard range because I went by the (Santose) Improved Battlesight Zero that I found here:http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw. It made sense to me, so I went with it. I don't know if the local range will let me use my rifle on the 25 yard range or not.

I understand what you guys are saying about the cheek weld and the sight picture, breathing and trigger squeeze, and I will work on those things my next time out.

I still don't understand the concept of full floating barrel. I've Googled this and poked around a couple of sights, but I am unclear on the mechanics of how this helps accuracy. Can someone elaborate? Also, aren't there any handguards that allow the barrel to float that do not cost $150 - $250 or more?

jbw
NRA Member

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

A floating barrel makes a very minute difference. There isn't a single M16 or M4 in the military inventory that has a floated barrel. They aren't necessary for anything except full match rifles.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe' View Post
I still don't understand the concept of full floating barrel. I've Googled this and poked around a couple of sights, but I am unclear on the mechanics of how this helps accuracy. Can someone elaborate? Also, aren't there any handguards that allow the barrel to float that do not cost $150 - $250 or more?
A free-floating barrel means that the only thing touching the barrel is the gas system. Any pressure put on your barrel changes the harmonics and can negatively effect your accuracy, unless it is always consistent (gas system). Since you cannot always put the same pressure when using your sling or a rest, free-float tubes were developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
A floating barrel makes a very minute difference. There isn't a single M16 or M4 in the military inventory that has a floated barrel. They aren't necessary for anything except full match rifles.
1.) There are lots of M16s and M4s that have free float tubes nowadays. It is one of the upgrades available for the M4, and is issued on all M16A4s these days. In fact, I would have to say that the majority of the M4s on the market have free-floated rail systems these days. Definitely all of the new ones.

2.) Kyle Lamb and Larry Vickers, former Delta operators, are suggesting that any rifle used to fight with seriously have a free-float tube installed. Lamb has been able to change his point of impact on a non-free-floated rifle up to 4" at 100 yards...

Old 11-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I think some may be trying to over think this issue. With that much error I look more at trigger control. Try some dry fire (safe to do on an AR) and see if the sights move when the trigger breaks (releases the hammer). Only put the pad of the trigger finger on the trigger. An AR has a very short reach to the trigger and it is very easy to put the first joint on the trigger. This will give the finger too much leverage and allow it to pull the gun down/left.

Dry fire practice is an often overlooked aspect of training.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I think some may be trying to over think this issue. With that much error I look more at trigger control. Try some dry fire (safe to do on an AR) and see if the sights move when the trigger breaks (releases the hammer). Only put the pad of the trigger finger on the trigger. An AR has a very short reach to the trigger and it is very easy to put the first joint on the trigger. This will give the finger too much leverage and allow it to pull the gun down/left.

Dry fire practice is an often overlooked aspect of training.
I am definitely doing this. I'll work on just the pad of the finger, along with making sure that my cheek weld is in the same spot each time, giving me a consistent sight picture as several others have suggested.

The floating barrel may indeed be a good idea down the road, but it really sounds like I need to focus on consitently employing proper mechanics before I get in to modifying the rifle.

Thanks again everyone.

jbw
NRA Member