Shooting Accuracy - What Am I Doing Wrong?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Shooting Accuracy - What Am I Doing Wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting Accuracy - What Am I Doing Wrong?

I was able to finally get my new AR out to the range yesterday. I performed the Improved Battlesight Zero procedure at 50 yards and got my irons sighted in. Then I mounted my new Eotech and got that sighted in as well. During both processes, I was able to get down to 2" - 3" groups pretty well centered at my point of aim. All of this was done seated at the bench rest.

Then I stood up and shot in the standing position, using the Eotech, still on the 50 yard range. My shots were consistently low and to the left of target. I would say that they were off point of aim by anywhere from 3" to 6", and just about all of them were between 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

This is the first rifle I have ever owned, so I don't have much experience shooting rifles. I know that the problem must lie in the way that I am setting up to shoot. My rifle has a regular handguard, no vertical grip or anything.

I'd appreciate any help or hints that y'all can give me to help me correct and improve my shooting. Pics of proper stance would be good too.

Thank you.

jbw
NRA Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #2

Change the stock front grips to a free float tube will enhance what your barrel will do.

Sounds like the Eotech needs some more adjustment on the range.

What were you using for ammunition would be the next question ?

What is the rate of twist on the barrel ?

How heavy is the stock trigger pull ?

You have just begun a great adventure in AR's World !

Old 11-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If everything is right on while you're shooting off the bench then changes when you shoot standing it could be any number of things. Ar yuo using a bipod? Your eye relief from your sight has also probably changed. Make sure your mount and harware are tight, and get proper sight picture with your optic. If you are able to use your open sights with the optic mounted, that would be a plus and tell you what you may be doing wrong.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

To me it sounds more like a trigger squeese problem. Maybe too much finger on the trigger.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #5

yeah I would go with trigger and breathing.... after that where you useing the sling? the sliong can help alot if used right!

Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy. - Rudy Giuliani

Knowing is half the battle. The other half is VIOLENCE.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old 11-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #6

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I'm a complete newb o rifles of any kind, so I have a few follow-ups and answers to clarify some of the questions posed above.

What is meant by 'free floating' as opposed the the regular hand guard, which is what I assume that I have.

For this shooting session, I was using Remington (I want to say Black Hills, but not sure if that's right). It comes in a blue box of 50 rounds.

The barrel rate of twist is 1:9 and it's a 6" barrel.

I don't know the pull weight on the trigger. It is a RRA National Match trigger, and I assume that it is set to factory spec.

I was not usiing the sling. Could you please elaborate on the proper way to use the sling to help shooting accuracy, or is there a thread that you can reference? The sling that I have is a Turner Saddlery M-1907:

http://www.turnersling.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Cod e=M1907&Category_Code=HRRS

Thanks again for the help.

jbw
NRA Member

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Your zero should be done at 25 yards and it should be a 3 round group in under an inch. At least 3 groups should be fired and the average of those 3 groups should be used to adjust your zero. The process should be repeated for every adjustment.

All problems with shooting come down to the 3 basic fundamentals, breath, trigger and sight picture.

Be sure your cheek weld is consistent as that's the biggest killer of accuracy for ARs.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Your zero should be done at 25 yards and it should be a 3 round group in under an inch. At least 3 groups should be fired and the average of those 3 groups should be used to adjust your zero. The process should be repeated for every adjustment.

All problems with shooting come down to the 3 basic fundamentals, breath, trigger and sight picture.

Be sure your cheek weld is consistent as that's the biggest killer of accuracy for ARs.
Our range won't let you take rifles to the pistol side, and that's the only place to find a stall with 25 yards or under. I agree that it might be the way you are holding the rifle. If you had good, consistent hits when sitting down, but bad, consistent hits while standing, your cheek weld may be in a different position for each. This would mean you are looking through the sights at a different angle and affect the actual aiming point.

Next time you are at the range, use enough sand bags to raise the rifle to a decent position when sitting. Don't hunch down over it. Mimmic the position you'd be holding it while standing. I'm not a professional, so someone here might offer a tweak to my suggestions, but I feel like I'm basically on par here...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Your zero does not have to be done at 25 yards, but that is common. I have used a 50 yard zero and a 100 yard zero. Next time I zero, I'll use a 36 yard zero.

Due to inconsistencies in the ammunition manufacturing process, and the low quality of ammo that is used to military surplus, one would be better served shooting 5 to 10 rounds...

Quote:

AMEN!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #10

As the others have mentioned, it is more than likely technique that is getting you bigger groups standing.

If you are new to rifles it will be hard to get a steady stance.
Do you have you trigger arm tucked down to your side?
What grip you you have on the handguard?

Try a few different postions. With the rifle pointed slightly up and down range, put your supporting hand into in th eopening between the rifle and the sling. Then wrap your arm around the sling and grab the guard. That should constrict around your arm and hwlp steady the arm holding the rifle.

Find a cheekweld (you put your check on the stock and look through the sights). Make sure to get the same checkweld each time you do it.

Breathe in and slowly exhale, pulling the trigger with 2/3 the breath out. This is something you can do at home on an empty chamber (dry firing). This also allows you to practice the cheekweld and gives you quality time with your rifle.

Do this standing so you can practice the grip and steadiness too.

I'm no pro, but these are things that I do to help me for range trips.