Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > shipping on uppers ?? concern??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default shipping on uppers ?? concern??

I have a concern about shipping of gun parts as of Jan 1. I always see all these new laws printed in newspaper on Jan1. Mostly tons of little laws that come into effect at first of year that really don't effect me, laws that I never heard any talk of them coming about. Anyway, heres my question. I'm thinking of buying an upper over the internet in next couple days. I'm nervous that a surprise law will come into effect Jan1, saying an upper cant just be shipped or sent UPS to your door anymore. I don't know much about the subject or gun laws. Do any of you see this happening? Is this something that the senate would have to approve? Or is this something that we can very well wake up to the first of the year? I want to buy an upper. If I pay w/ a credit card, I might be able to get it in transit or freighted out before end of year. However, I'd much prefer to pay w/ certified check. Mailing them a certified check would delay shipping to after the first of year. What do some of you prople think on this??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If you really want to pay by check send it next day guaranteed. It will cost up to 10 dollars, but could speed things up a little. My 2cents, pay with cc when you get the bill send them a check.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Congress is not is session. A law has a process to go thru, and it does not happen overnight. Take a deep breath, relax, do whichever you like.

FWIW, I have one active credit card. Use it for a lot of things- and pay it up once a month.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yes, I know I can send it next day, but I've already been informed by the seller that they are backed up on processing payments in the mail. Yes, I know laws don't happen overnight. But whos to say, this law of shippinf uppers for AR15s to your front door step isn't already being worked on. Like I said, It seems when I pick up the paper on Jan, 1, new laws are posted on the back page that I never heard coming.
It seems with all the events with guns lately, that shipping of uppers to someoneds door step would end soon. However, I'm not a gun enthusiast or anything. Thats why I'm on here asking you people. I appreciate the posts and ideas from those who responded, but the question is, what do you guys think the likelihood of an upper being illegal to be shipped UPS or Fedex to your front door come the begging of the year?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Reread c3shooter's reply. If you order soon and it's in stock it'll show up at your front door in Jan.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
yes, I know I can send it next day, but I've already been informed by the seller that they are backed up on processing payments in the mail. Yes, I know laws don't happen overnight. But whos to say, this law of shippinf uppers for AR15s to your front door step isn't already being worked on. Like I said, It seems when I pick up the paper on Jan, 1, new laws are posted on the back page that I never heard coming.
It seems with all the events with guns lately, that shipping of uppers to someoneds door step would end soon. However, I'm not a gun enthusiast or anything. Thats why I'm on here asking you people. I appreciate the posts and ideas from those who responded, but the question is, what do you guys think the likelihood of an upper being illegal to be shipped UPS or Fedex to your front door come the begging of the year?
An upper is just parts, not a firearm. They would have to outlaw the shipment of all gun parts. As it now stands the "firearm" is the lower receiver...that's all that the BATFE has jurisdiction over. Until the upper becomes part of the firearm they cannot do a damned thing about it. For example...I can own a 14.5" barrel since it's just a part...just cannot mount it to a receiver. Once I do that it becomes a short barreled rifle and I would need a NFA stamp.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #7

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Unless you have a lower that was sold as a handgun, correct? Or does that not work? I thought if you had a lower that was sold as a handgun and the background check was done accordingly, the buyer was 21, etc then it was ok?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

alright, well, I'm feeling a little better about it then. I'll try to do what c3shooter says then.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Unless you have a lower that was sold as a handgun, correct? Or does that not work? I thought if you had a lower that was sold as a handgun and the background check was done accordingly, the buyer was 21, etc then it was ok?
A lower is already what is considered to be a firearm and as such is already restricted on how it can move from place to place. For example it needs to go to a dealer (FFL) if shipped out of state. Whether it was sold as a handgun only determines what you can legally do with it, i.e, build a rifle. Not sure which way it goes but its either once a pistol always a pistol or once a rifle always a rifle.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ordering online and paying by check gives you no recourse if something goes wrong with the order or shipping. Using a credit card offers you the chance to contest things that go wrong.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.