Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   shipping on uppers ?? concern?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/shipping-uppers-concern-79211/)

suzychapstick 12-23-2012 08:24 AM

shipping on uppers ?? concern??

I have a concern about shipping of gun parts as of Jan 1. I always see all these new laws printed in newspaper on Jan1. Mostly tons of little laws that come into effect at first of year that really don't effect me, laws that I never heard any talk of them coming about. Anyway, heres my question. I'm thinking of buying an upper over the internet in next couple days. I'm nervous that a surprise law will come into effect Jan1, saying an upper cant just be shipped or sent UPS to your door anymore. I don't know much about the subject or gun laws. Do any of you see this happening? Is this something that the senate would have to approve? Or is this something that we can very well wake up to the first of the year? I want to buy an upper. If I pay w/ a credit card, I might be able to get it in transit or freighted out before end of year. However, I'd much prefer to pay w/ certified check. Mailing them a certified check would delay shipping to after the first of year. What do some of you prople think on this??

kobel1up 12-23-2012 11:06 AM

If you really want to pay by check send it next day guaranteed. It will cost up to 10 dollars, but could speed things up a little. My 2cents, pay with cc when you get the bill send them a check.

Merry Christmas.

c3shooter 12-23-2012 01:12 PM

Congress is not is session. A law has a process to go thru, and it does not happen overnight. Take a deep breath, relax, do whichever you like.

FWIW, I have one active credit card. Use it for a lot of things- and pay it up once a month.

suzychapstick 12-23-2012 06:51 PM

yes, I know I can send it next day, but I've already been informed by the seller that they are backed up on processing payments in the mail. Yes, I know laws don't happen overnight. But whos to say, this law of shippinf uppers for AR15s to your front door step isn't already being worked on. Like I said, It seems when I pick up the paper on Jan, 1, new laws are posted on the back page that I never heard coming.
It seems with all the events with guns lately, that shipping of uppers to someoneds door step would end soon. However, I'm not a gun enthusiast or anything. Thats why I'm on here asking you people. I appreciate the posts and ideas from those who responded, but the question is, what do you guys think the likelihood of an upper being illegal to be shipped UPS or Fedex to your front door come the begging of the year?

Quentin 12-24-2012 01:04 AM

Reread c3shooter's reply. If you order soon and it's in stock it'll show up at your front door in Jan.

Jpyle 12-24-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzychapstick (Post 1063378)
yes, I know I can send it next day, but I've already been informed by the seller that they are backed up on processing payments in the mail. Yes, I know laws don't happen overnight. But whos to say, this law of shippinf uppers for AR15s to your front door step isn't already being worked on. Like I said, It seems when I pick up the paper on Jan, 1, new laws are posted on the back page that I never heard coming.
It seems with all the events with guns lately, that shipping of uppers to someoneds door step would end soon. However, I'm not a gun enthusiast or anything. Thats why I'm on here asking you people. I appreciate the posts and ideas from those who responded, but the question is, what do you guys think the likelihood of an upper being illegal to be shipped UPS or Fedex to your front door come the begging of the year?

An upper is just parts, not a firearm. They would have to outlaw the shipment of all gun parts. As it now stands the "firearm" is the lower receiver...that's all that the BATFE has jurisdiction over. Until the upper becomes part of the firearm they cannot do a damned thing about it. For example...I can own a 14.5" barrel since it's just a part...just cannot mount it to a receiver. Once I do that it becomes a short barreled rifle and I would need a NFA stamp.

70cuda383 12-24-2012 02:47 AM

Unless you have a lower that was sold as a handgun, correct? Or does that not work? I thought if you had a lower that was sold as a handgun and the background check was done accordingly, the buyer was 21, etc then it was ok?

suzychapstick 12-24-2012 04:52 AM

alright, well, I'm feeling a little better about it then. I'll try to do what c3shooter says then.

Jpyle 12-24-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 1063791)
Unless you have a lower that was sold as a handgun, correct? Or does that not work? I thought if you had a lower that was sold as a handgun and the background check was done accordingly, the buyer was 21, etc then it was ok?

A lower is already what is considered to be a firearm and as such is already restricted on how it can move from place to place. For example it needs to go to a dealer (FFL) if shipped out of state. Whether it was sold as a handgun only determines what you can legally do with it, i.e, build a rifle. Not sure which way it goes but its either once a pistol always a pistol or once a rifle always a rifle.

Car54 12-24-2012 05:36 AM

Ordering online and paying by check gives you no recourse if something goes wrong with the order or shipping. Using a credit card offers you the chance to contest things that go wrong.