Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Shattered Gas Block (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/shattered-gas-block-87802/)

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-30-2013 12:17 AM

Shattered Gas Block

1 Attachment(s)
So today I actually went to test fire my AR pistol and shattered my gas block. I have built 12 AR's and have 2 more under construction right now. I meticulous when it comes to how i align and secure my gas blocks.i would like to think it was a defect! So I put 60 rounds of 55 grain just fine zeroing my red dot. I put in the last mag and saw a nice flame shoot out and nothing ejected. I heard some rattling in my quad rail and saw 3 pieces of what used to be my gas block. Has any one seen this. Unfortunately I can't remember what brand it was. Here is a pic of what I got to fall out. I have to strip her back done and start again. epic fail !!!

AgentTikki 03-30-2013 12:26 AM

seriously I've never seen that happen before.

please share the make and model of that gas block with us.

it looks as though shorter gas systems really do you beat up the internals of your rifle add your gas systems too.

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-30-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
seriously I've never seen that happen before.

please share the make and model of that gas block with us.

it looks as though shorter gas systems really do you beat up the internals of your rifle add your gas systems too.

I'm running a 7.5"HBAR , PWS CQB, Fail Zero full auto BCG, Phase 5 pistol buffer assembly kit. That should of balanced the gas. I want to say it might have been a random generic gas block from a gun show. I can't remember. I will definitely make sure the next one is a quality piece for sure.

jjfuller1 03-30-2013 12:57 AM

Whoa that's crazy

purehavoc 03-30-2013 01:55 AM

My buddy bought one just like that at a gun show . Super light and thin. Really looked like a cheap gas block. Nothing wrong just cheap chinese made aluminum. Get a troy and go on with life .

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-30-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
My buddy bought one just like that at a gun show . Super light and thin. Really looked like a cheap gas block. Nothing wrong just cheap chinese made aluminum. Get a troy and go on with life .

Thats what I usually build with too. The one time I let it slide, it bites me on the ass.

Quentin 03-31-2013 04:33 PM

Never saw that before either! A real pain but I'm glad it's replaceable...

A good lesson for all of us that no matter how often people claim that all parts are the same, in the end you do get what you pay for.

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-31-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
Never saw that before either! A real pain but I'm glad it's replaceable...

A good lesson for all of us that no matter how often people claim that all parts are the same, in the end you do get what you pay for.

Yup, I wish would of payed attention to what I bought.

purehavoc 03-31-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1198527)
Yup, I wish would of payed attention to what I bought.

It happens . The biggest complaint I hear similar to this is with cheap optics

Sgt_Skrb_25 04-01-2013 05:43 PM

Just went to Riflegear and picked up a YHM gas block, tube and roll pin ,and do it right. I really wish I remembered what piece of crap the guy at the gun show told me the shattered block was. I wouldn't of bought it if it was some Chinese made crap. The guy told me a brand, but then again it wasn't packaged. That's what I get for excessive brain farts.