Semi-retro type 723

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Semi-retro type 723

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Semi-retro type 723

OK she be done! I have always wanted one of the A1 carbines...the old SP-1 CAR-15 as it were. I set out to build a true retro but financial restraints and parts I had laying around forced a slight change in plans. The discovery of the transistional Colt model 723 type carbine, a pre M4 design, a hodgepodge of early and or later designs. In this case, a "pencil" type 16" Bbl. with an A1 receiver albeit with the integral brass deflector, carbine handguards. The receiver is the later A2 design as is the grip and the stock is a gen-1 M4 type with mil-spec tube. Range report to follow...

parts specs: Bushmaster 16" ultra-light 1/9 barrel assy (I got to torque this one onto the upper)
Bushmaster A1 upper receiver assy.
BCM bolt carrier group and charging handle
Spikes Tactical lower receiver
Stag Arms lower parts kit
BCM Gen-1 M4 mil-spec buttstock assy w/H-buffer
This thing is LIGHT!
I gotta try something different next time...possibly the .458 SOCOM or mabey a 6.8...I need some serious rehab...

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

Back from the range...and yes it was windy as all get out here in Oklahoma. There seems to be no interest in this particular post here but again I have to point out this is one light carbine. It translates into some snappy performance with the 5.56 round. I was pleased the longarm shoots where you point it without requiring any adjustment to the sights. Feed and function were 100% for the 50 rounds I burned. cases were thrown between 2:00 & 3:00 out to 10 feet. Already had an offer on it. Guy wants it for his kids...I guess the light weight will fit the bill for the wife or kids ...I'm 6'4" and I like it too as a handy little carbine for casual outtings with friends. Anyway, there it is, another success story. I'm sure glad it didn't blow up in my face!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

Looking good.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yep, there is interest. Looks good, hillmillenia. I'm not a huge fan of the fixed carry handle, but I understand what you were after.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like it and you did a nice job.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #6

I build one myself a month ago. I got it with an a1 stock but I place m4 handguards to mine. I'm got big hands and I don't like the skinny carbine guards. I have yet to zero mine. I'm a fan of the 62 gr soft point. Lets see how she does when I take care of her. I'm planning of placing one of those Colt 4x32 scopes also.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #7

Gee wilikers guys, thanks for all the kind comments ...Now that I have established she's a keeper, I'm starting to experiment...and though I have always said I would not go for the aftermarker tack-ons or colors...I went ahead and orderd a dark-earth Magpul MOE stock set...stock,handguards and grip...should be something else...

Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

We will require pictures.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmillenia View Post
Gee wilikers guys, thanks for all the kind comments ...Now that I have established she's a keeper, I'm starting to experiment...and though I have always said I would not go for the aftermarker tack-ons or colors...I went ahead and orderd a dark-earth Magpul MOE stock set...stock,handguards and grip...should be something else...
My wife's ar15 its a colt skinny barrel and bolt. I put an MOE magpul stock, flip up rear sight, and the new forend in foliage green. I even got the pmags to go with it. It looks sweet.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 AM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
I went ahead and orderd a dark-earth Magpul MOE stock set...stock,handguards and grip...should be something else...
Aw hell, ain't nothing wrong with some earth tone colors on a Bushy, it gives it some definable character and it doesn't clash with the red dirt here in Oklahoma!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”