select fire trigger vs. standard 2 stage - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > select fire trigger vs. standard 2 stage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Its a two stage regardless of what the claim is. A true single stage has zero, absolutely no take up. If the trigger moves even a scootch before contacting the sear its a two stage.

Set triggers like you find on a lot of cz rifles (absolutely outstanding triggers btw) can be run as a normal two stage or as a one stage by pushing the trigger forward it turns into a glass rod breaking feel several ounce single stage trigger.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
A two stage trigger is ideal for general defensive offensive use. It makes it a LOT harder to ND into your buddies or yourself while your under stress or while wearing gloves.

Single stage are great for competition where your life isnt on the line and you need that edge for game competition.

They serve different purposes and the guns that use them really dont translate well from one role to the other.
Correct me if I am wrong. The standard AR trigger is a single stage with a 7ish LB pull as issued to various military and government agencies and LE agencies. Correct?

It's always been my understanding a heavy single stage trigger is what you would want in a self defense situation. I see the logic to your statement, my m14 has a long heavy double stage trigger but it is very soft trigger at the same time.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. The standard AR trigger is a single stage with a 7ish LB pull as issued to various military and government agencies and LE agencies. Correct?

It's always been my understanding a heavy single stage trigger is what you would want in a self defense situation. I see the logic to your statement, my m14 has a long heavy double stage trigger but it is very soft trigger at the same time.
Standard ar15 triggers are two stage. Weight of pull or presence of trigger creep has nothing to do with with wether a trigger is two or one or set.

All military triggers are two stage. What your experiencing on your M1A is creep in the second stage. Two stage triggers have spring tension that keeps the trigger from contacting the sear. This means that while your bouncing around in a vehicle, running, hitting the dirt, or other actions like that jarring the rifle wont accidentally fire a round.

Single stage triggers the trigger is in constant contact with the sear. Its why you see trigger safeties on lots of rifles becoming the norm. It gives the superb feel and control of a single stage with the safety of a two stage. Examples are the superb savage accutriggers which are safe for hunting and field use.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-11-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmmmm....

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com