Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   select fire trigger vs. standard 2 stage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/select-fire-trigger-vs-standard-2-stage-91859/)

GREGULON 06-06-2013 08:01 AM

select fire trigger vs. standard 2 stage

I am just wondering if there is any advantage to buying a select fire trigger vs. a 2 stage. If I have a semi auto ar15. If I put a full auto safety would that allow me to have the best of both worlds meaning a standard and a 2 stage trigger?

JonM 06-06-2013 01:25 PM

Full auto triggers are the same as semi auto triggers. The differences in the trigger group are the safety, hammer and full auto sear with attendant pin spring and sear hole in the reciever.

While it is technically legal to possess a full auto safety and hammer there is no ruling from the batfe that they wont prosecute you for putting them unmodified to semi only in a semi auto reciever.

Full auto parts in a semi auto configured lower offer no advantage or use. There is no reason to run the risk of the issue ever coming up in court if your rifle is ever taken as evidence in a self defense shoot or action.

While fa bolt carriers have a blanket approval by the batfe other fa parts do not and its beat to avoid them.

Do you really want eric holder and barack deciding your fate??

AgentTikki 06-06-2013 04:54 PM

Are you sure that you are talking about a select fire trigger? As in a trigger that will let you select between, semi-auto, burst, or full auto?

GREGULON 06-06-2013 08:17 PM

Thank you my question was if there is any advantage to having full auto parts in a semi auto rifle for example could you flip between single and two stage trigger pull. If there is no advantage then I wouldn't bother.

purehavoc 06-06-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGULON (Post 1269344)
Thank you my question was if there is any advantage to having full auto parts in a semi auto rifle for example could you flip between single and two stage trigger pull. If there is no advantage then I wouldn't bother.

Yes it wont fit without major modification to the lower so dont waste your time :D .
I think your a bit confused , a single stage trigger there is little to no take up and then bang , a 2 stage has alot of take up and then it stops , light pull and bang
You either get a single stage or a 2 stage there is not a trigger that will toggle between the 2 that I know of.
Hope that helps

Quentin 06-06-2013 11:05 PM

I suppose a FCG and selector could be designed to give you a single action/double action trigger depending where the selector is pointed (90 or 180 degrees). But if something goes wrong and you actually get full auto... oopsie, Mr ATF agent man!

JonM 06-07-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGULON (Post 1269344)

A two stage trigger is ideal for general defensive offensive use. It makes it a LOT harder to ND into your buddies or yourself while your under stress or while wearing gloves.

Single stage are great for competition where your life isnt on the line and you need that edge for game competition.

They serve different purposes and the guns that use them really dont translate well from one role to the other.

p35bhp55 06-09-2013 03:03 AM

Dammit guys now I'm really confused. I was on a different thread talking about my 2 stage trigger and someone pointed out it wasn't. When I checked on Brownells site it was listed as single stage. It is an ALG ACT. It has a short amount of light smooth take up then stops and breaks smoothly. My AR rifle with stock parts does the same thing only heavier, not so smooth and a heavier break. The S&W Sport has almost no take up and a break between stock and the ALG. My last trigger is a Wilson Combat TTU M2 in a 308 it has a short super light take up and bolt action like break...A good bolt that is. Aren't all of these single stage and a two stage a different design all together? One that has two separate points of contact with the difference between it and a set trigger being that the set trigger stays set and a two stage will reset if released?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/352574_.html

Quentin 06-09-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p35bhp55 (Post 1271606)
Dammit guys now I'm really confused. I was on a different thread talking about my 2 stage trigger and someone pointed out it wasn't. When I checked on Brownells site it was listed as single stage. It is an ALG ACT. It has a short amount of light smooth take up then stops and breaks smoothly. My AR rifle with stock parts does the same thing only heavier, not so smooth and a heavier break. The S&W Sport has almost no take up and a break between stock and the ALG. My last trigger is a Wilson Combat TTU M2 in a 308 it has a short super light take up and bolt action like break...A good bolt that is. Aren't all of these single stage and a two stage a different design all together? One that has two separate points of contact with the difference between it and a set trigger being that the set trigger stays set and a two stage will reset if released?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/352574_.html

Well it sounds like you're describing 2 stage in your Wilson Combat while the others are single stage. Most ARs come with single stage milspec triggers. The ALG is a cleaned up milspec single stage.

p35bhp55 06-09-2013 06:08 PM

Quentin, The Wilson blurb calls it a semi two stage and it is a module so I really haven't got a good look inside. I bought the ALG from a buddy who traded his Bushy for a Colt while it was in route. It is "THE" trigger along with a JP spring set that I would put in an AR that is liable to be held in a stress situation. The .308 was put together to be kind of a precision carbine, still on the fence as to how that is gonna work out. Had one of Sams M16s in the early 70s, didn't like it. Got my first at about age 50, now have four and have a lot to learn. It's the damn kids I hang around with that got me started.