You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

seeking advice on converting to .458 socom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default seeking advice on converting to .458 socom

hi! i currently have a 300 BLK 7" barrel/rails pistol with pistol tube, was wondering how practical it would be/ what the best route would be for converting. In a perfect world id just get the short barrel and a buttstock, but i dont have the SBR paperwork, and although my drivers license says otherwise, im currently in CA, so...

as i see it i can either:
-buy a 16" barrel & a rifle stock/ new tube (or then would i run into issues with my 300 blk lower being an unregistered SBR?)

-get a <10.5" barrel like i want and shoot it with just the buffer tube against my shoulder. (is this dumb or possible?) definitely cheapest, easiest and most compact

What barrel length is optimal ? i do a lot of deep wood minimalist stuff, so i like the idea of packing light/ compact, but i want something i can drop bigger game with: Elk, hogs, bear, cougar. Not planning on >100yrd shots

OR is this just a bad idea and i should use my 300 BLK for headshots on that stuff/ buy a 375 h&h.

Thanks a ton, guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15497 Times on 7700 Posts
Likes Given: 14600

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfkingmatrix View Post
hi! i currently have a 300 BLK 7" barrel/rails pistol with pistol tube, was wondering how practical it would be/ what the best route would be for converting. In a perfect world id just get the short barrel and a buttstock, but i dont have the SBR paperwork, and although my drivers license says otherwise, im currently in CA, so...

as i see it i can either:
-buy a 16" barrel & a rifle stock/ new tube (or then would i run into issues with my 300 blk lower being an unregistered SBR?)

-get a <10.5" barrel like i want and shoot it with just the buffer tube against my shoulder. (is this dumb or possible?) definitely cheapest, easiest and most compact

What barrel length is optimal ? i do a lot of deep wood minimalist stuff, so i like the idea of packing light/ compact, but i want something i can drop bigger game with: Elk, hogs, bear, cougar. Not planning on >100yrd shots

OR is this just a bad idea and i should use my 300 BLK for headshots on that stuff/ buy a 375 h&h.

Thanks a ton, guys
If you feel the need for a cannon, it would be easier and cheaper to get a Marlin .45-70 "Guide Gun."

Factory ammo is available everywhere, and if you hand load, you can kick it up to low end .458 WinMag ballistics

I DON'T WATcH CNN FOR THE SAME REASON i DON'T EAT OUT OF THE TOILET

Old 08-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #3

Liked 2346 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 2454

Have you considered the .338 spectre ?...........

Old 08-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #4

glad i came here !

that guide gun looks awesome! compact, reliable, definitely has what im looking for, never would have thought of just buying a new gun lol.

The reason i went 300blk in the first place is so i can stick my 9mm can on it, its nice not having to pack headphones around when im in the brush. 338 spectre would work with my can - but i dont see a lot of info on availability / ballistics.

does it have that much of an edge on 300blk?

Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #5

Liked 2270 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Unless you handload,you're wasting your time with the big bore AR's.

The 45/70 guide gun would be a much better choice.
North American Hunting Club