See through mount for 40mm scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > See through mount for 40mm scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I want to do a see through mount for a 40mm bushnell scope on my RRA entry tactical. Any idea how high I need to be in order to still use iron sights that come with the gun?

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #2

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

They only make 1 Height for a "See Thru" Ring. It's X-High. I have a set on my Custom 10/22 to give clearance to a 6-18x50mm Scope that also has Adjustable Objective.
WalMart has some for around $20 I believe. Don't know of anybody using these type Rings on an AR Rifle because of the heigth of the Front/Rear Sights and how the See Thru Hole is formed in the Rings. Just don't think they'll work, but I don't know what type/style sights you have---there's many variations out there.
I think this is why when you mount a Scope/Ring Package on the AR many Folks opt for the QD type mounts to use their Irons.
Del

Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Wtf? I see all kinds of different styles and heights...

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

Liked 2186 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

The problem you will run into will be that the scope will be so high above bore that you will have a hard time with cheek weld for the scope and may lose some adjustment in elevation if you get it to high above bore. Youse be better off with a set of quick detatch rings or a detachable mount.
If you have to go the see through route and can't find one the right height, you could check into some risers that the rings could mount to. UTG makes some cheap and effective risers(about the only UTG stuff I recommend on any regular basis).

I have a Marlin .30-30 that had see through mounts. Just never could get comfortable with the scope in those mounts.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Wtf? I see all kinds of different styles and heights...
Sorry about that. Things sure changed within last 15yrs since I got my Rings.

SSGN has a good idea with a Riser which I hadn't thought of.

Will take some good measurements, but does look doable after seeing the Ring possibilities. This has become interesting.

What kinda Scope you thinking?
Del

Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
Sorry about that. Things sure changed within last 15yrs since I got my Rings. SSGN has a good idea with a Riser which I hadn't thought of. Will take some good measurements, but does look doable after seeing the Ring possibilities. This has become interesting. What kinda Scope you thinking? Del
Bushnell banner 3-9x40mm

Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #7

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Why not get a carry handle and a mount for that? I'm not expert but I would think it would have to be some pretty high mounts for see thru rings...check out 45 degree sights as well....

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2