Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > second upper while waiting on the first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default second upper while waiting on the first

Well some of you may know me. I have had a thread going for about 5 or 6 months about my AR build. I am now in month 4 of waiting on my upper from RAR guns. That being said, I am tired of waiting on it and I am ready to get something on my lower. I need something that will put down a hog or any other north texas big game with one shot. I have recently checked out the .458 socom. I know this round will achieve that, but... what are some options you experienced AR guys would offer up. I have looked at 6.8 .50 .458 .300 .338 6.5 .450 .... I am so lost. I have a Sun Devil billett lower with a MOE buttstock, spikes T2 buffer and a RRA lpk that I built about 5 freaking months ago. Someone please give me their input on my best option, considering quality, practicality, and cost. While your at it send me to the best place to purchase, becuase I would like to get an order in NOW!!!!

Thanks Guys.

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

AIMs has a .300BLK upper and ammo for sale that would probably be on your doorstep before the RAR. The .300BLK is accurate but is only designed for 200/300 yards and in.

Personally I'd look into an AR chambered in .308. It'll bring down a human out to a good distance so I imagine it can handle a hog. 5.56 will put a hog down w/ 1 round.

Cancel you order w/ RAR. You could have already had a couple k rounds through a much nicer AR for the same price already.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaynebb View Post
Well some of you may know me. I have had a thread going for about 5 or 6 months about my AR build. I am now in month 4 of waiting on my upper from RAR guns. That being said, I am tired of waiting on it and I am ready to get something on my lower. I need something that will put down a hog or any other north texas big game with one shot. I have recently checked out the .458 socom. I know this round will achieve that, but... what are some options you experienced AR guys would offer up. I have looked at 6.8 .50 .458 .300 .338 6.5 .450 .... I am so lost. I have a Sun Devil billett lower with a MOE buttstock, spikes T2 buffer and a RRA lpk that I built about 5 freaking months ago. Someone please give me their input on my best option, considering quality, practicality, and cost. While your at it send me to the best place to purchase, becuase I would like to get an order in NOW!!!!

Thanks Guys.
Wait times are only going to get worse too! What the heck type of upper did you order from RRA Kwaynebb? I am close to putting an order with them too for my upper, but may have to reconsider.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5258 Times on 2742 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Wait times are only going to get worse too! What the heck type of upper did you order from RRA Kwaynebb? I am close to putting an order with them too for my upper, but may have to reconsider.
R.A.R not rock river arms. Rar is a Ar15 assembler

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
R.A.R not rock river arms. Rar is a Ar15 assembler
Whewwwwwwwwww! That makes me feel better!!!!

.........ooooops, and sorry for your pain!!! I hate waiting.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Personally I'd look into an AR chambered in .308. It'll bring down a human out to a good distance so I imagine it can handle a hog. 5.56 will put a hog down w/ 1 round.
I have thought about going the .308 route. However I think I want to buy an upper in a larger caliber that I can run on a 15 lower. I also have this syndrome where I like to kill a fly with a sledge hammer so I really want something big. I dont know about others but the .458 will work with any unmodified GI mag and fit any mil spec lower. I dont really want to buy a complete rifle at the moment so I could get something to run on the lower I already have and Im about to build another, and maybe one day I will have two. As far as canceling the order with R.A.R. Im having enough trouble getting the upper shipped so im sure it would be an act of congress to get a refund and its too late to reverse the payment. Like an idiot im going to ride it out. I just would like to know some pro-cons about the larger calibers like .458 .50 6.5 grendal. Range is not an issue. Most of the time it will be within 200 yards

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaynebb View Post
I just would like to know some pro-cons about the larger calibers like .458 .50 6.5 grendal.
expensive if you dont reload

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
expensive if you dont reload
This ^ and I believe another member is having quite a time getting his to function properly.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
This ^ and I believe another member is having quite a time getting his to function properly.
non-function of these non 556/223 uppers is usually magazine related. my socom wont run reliably unless im using usgi mags. pmags and cammengas choke it.

Last edited by JonM; 07-28-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

i do plan on getting a 308 eventually. but for the time being i am wanting to buy something that i can run on my platform that i already have. it is my understanding that a 308 is a completely different lower than the 5.56. if that is correct then i would be buying a whole new rifle. I want to something in a large caliber that will fit a ar-15 lower like my sun devil. i am abondoning common sense here and looking for something big not necesarilly practical. maybe not the 458 maybe 6.5, or 6.8 I just want something i can put in my pac and switch out if i want to. that is why i am not looking at the 308 right now. i know this may stupid, but that is why i am trying to see if anyone has any experience with any of these caliber uppers. if i am going to make a bad decision i want it to be an educated bad decision.