Second trip to the range...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Second trip to the range...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Second trip to the range...

Okay. Here's the target.

Sighted in my Primary Arms Red Dot today, and it was a breeze. Holds zero very well so far, shooting 55 Grain .223 ammo (Federal) and very consistent.
Yeah, I should have been working, but I had a good time instead.
I'll catch up tomorrow.
So...the Primary Arms adjusts very easily, and holds zero. It is not a profound and definitive click when you adjust, but it is there, and works well.
Once it's dialed in, it holds very well.
The PA Magnifier? I am just not a fan of magnifiers with RDS after this. I think I'd rather just get a regular scope than use a magnifier and RDS combination, and I am considering the switch.
RDS is uber cool, but I am more comfortable, probably due to being trained on irons, than I am with the RDS.
Would I recommend buying this RDS? For the price, it's definitely worth it.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great job BL!

That's a minute of badguy in my book.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Great job BL!

That's a minute of badguy in my book.
Praise from the master. I feel better already. I've now dumped about 500 rounds down the pipe of a mix of steel and brass (don't like picky eaters) and she's only gotten wiped down. I'm wanting to see just how tough it is, and not one hiccup or jam.
Seems the faster I try to shoot, the better it holds up.
I have become a huge fan of Bravo Company uppers, and the Palmetto State lower and trigger are crisp and clean as well.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Looks like you got yourself all dialed in!

Don't sell yourself short just yet big guy,

Irons may be more your liking for benchtop shooting, but once we get you in a shoothouse, or out for a little running and gunning, I will bet your bottom dollar that you will fall pretty darn hard for RDS's.

He's a simple test, when everyone's out of your house (please don't give the wife a heart attack, or make your kids **** their pants) Clear your gun and then move about and clear you house with your irons.

Go from low ready to on target with irons. Then do it with your RDS. Just remember to keep both eyes open, look at your target and with your periphery vision track the dot till it gets on target. Switch back to irons and your will see in just what a difference they make. No more lining up stuff, no more looking through a peep hole. Check weld doesn't have to be perfect, just find your target, bring it up, dot it, and pull.

It's so much faster its cheating.

I just don't think you've used them quite the right way yet. Come out to the desert and have a few runs. You'll want to glue your irons down fo'eva!

Last edited by AgentTikki; 04-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

Keep it up Tikki. I'm considering saving change for a ticket out to lala land to play in the desert. Just gotta figure out how to get my little toy out there.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

What distance was that Ben? Nicely done by the way. Looks great. I had a magnifier for my eotech and I didnt care for it either. To much extra weight and I didnt see enough of a benefit to justify it. Thanks for the comments about the PA rds. I've been wanting one for a while and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
What distance was that Ben? Nicely done by the way. Looks great. I had a magnifier for my eotech and I didnt care for it either. To much extra weight and I didnt see enough of a benefit to justify it. Thanks for the comments about the PA rds. I've been wanting one for a while and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Playing at 50 yards today. I just enjoy that range for some reason. I have GOT to find somewhere to go run and gun rather than the 'sit and shoot' site I go to.
And I wouldn't hesitate to buy another PA RDS. First was bad, but their customer service is phenomenal.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Looks like you got yourself all dialed in!

Don't sell yourself short just yet big guy,

Irons may be more your liking for benchtop shooting, but once we get you in a shoothouse, or out for a little running and gunning, I will bet your bottom dollar that you will fall pretty darn hard for RDS's.

He's a simple test, when everyone's out of your house (please don't give the wife a heart attack, or make your kids **** their pants) Clear your gun and then move about and clear you house with your irons.

Go from low ready to on target with irons. Then do it with your RDS. Just remember to keep both eyes open, look at your target and with your periphery vision track the dot till it gets on target. Switch back to irons and your will see in just what a difference they make. No more lining up stuff, no more looking through a peep hole. Check weld doesn't have to be perfect, just find your target, bring it up, dot it, and pull.

It's so much faster its cheating.

I just don't think you've used them quite the right way yet. Come out to the desert and have a few runs. You'll want to glue your irons down fo'eva!
Not familiar with the RDS set up at all, truthfully. Always used iron's for CQB, which, realistically, is learning to put lead on target long enough to draw a good bead on it, or scopes for long range.
Biggest thing with the RDS in my mind is, even though everyone says 'if that's where the dot is, regardless of where your head is, that is where the bullet will go once sighted', I have a hard time believing that.
Once I find somewhere where I can actually go shoot and practice some rapid acquisition drills, I'll trust it more. Right now, it's just some new fangled doohickey invented by some rocket scientist to make me feel silly.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

Not familiar with the RDS set up at all, truthfully. Always used iron's for CQB, which, realistically, is learning to put lead on target long enough to draw a good bead on it, or scopes for long range.
Biggest thing with the RDS in my mind is, even though everyone says 'if that's where the dot is, regardless of where your head is, that is where the bullet will go once sighted', I have a hard time believing that.
Once I find somewhere where I can actually go shoot and practice some rapid acquisition drills, I'll trust it more. Right now, it's just some new fangled doohickey invented by some rocket scientist to make me feel silly.
The rocket scientist comment had me ROFLing!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7138 Times on 4296 Posts
Likes Given: 8663

Excellent shooting. Looks like a whole lot of fun.