Second AR, first build.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Second AR, first build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Second AR, first build.

So after the election I decided to go ahead and buy myself a lower to build me another AR. I am employed at my LGS and got a good deal so there was no reason for me not to go ahead and pick the lower up. At the same time I went ahead and purchased the double star LPK we had.. Future plans are a CMC trigger anyhow. The lower is a Mega, with the magpul MOE+ grip.

That's all I have now, but here's my list of what I have in mind currently:
-FDE magpul UBR stock
-medium BCM charging handle
-BCM 16" mid length upper with vltor VIS 12" rail
-spikes ST-T2 buffer
-FDE magpul grip
-BCM BCG whenever I catch them in stock
-aimpoint micro t-1

That's my list as of now. I'm still undecided on the muzzle device, so recommendations there are welcomed. Ideally it would be a suppressor but im not 21 yet.

Opinions and criticisms are welcome. Thanks!

image-10029922.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I would go with the Aimpoint PRO instead but that's just me. The Micro T-1 is just so small. I don't like the FOV.

Sounds like it'll be a sweet rifle. Be sure to post pics when it's done. I really want a UBR on an AR but can't justify spending $250 on a buttstock.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk
I would go with the Aimpoint PRO instead but that's just me. The Micro T-1 is just so small. I don't like the FOV.

Sounds like it'll be a sweet rifle. Be sure to post pics when it's done. I really want a UBR on an AR but can't justify spending $250 on a buttstock.
I'll check into that and see what I think will be best for me...

I'm hoping after Christmas ill be able to get everything on order. I get a very considerable discount since I work at my LGS, so that's how I justified the UBR stock.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

The PRO is cheaper too and comes with everything you need right out of the box. I like the QD mount too.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Sounds like a fine build, gotta love the BCM components and the Aimpoint Micro T1. The H1 will save you $50 or so if you'll never use the night vision device with the RDS.

The Spikes ST-T2 wouldn't be a first choice of mine but I know why you're going with it. With that upper it's hard to decide whether to go with an H or H2 buffer and the ST-T2 weight falls nicely in between. But solid weights are the way to go. I have a BCM 16" midlength plus BCM BCG and have run both their H and H2 buffer successfully, even with cheap steelcase. Currently I'm running the H because the H2 is in a similar Daniel Defense midlength but I think I'll get another H2.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Sounds like a fine build, gotta love the BCM components and the Aimpoint Micro T1. The H1 will save you $50 or so if you'll never use the night vision device with the RDS.

The Spikes ST-T2 wouldn't be a first choice of mine but I know why you're going with it. With that upper it's hard to decide whether to go with an H or H2 buffer and the ST-T2 weight falls nicely in between. But solid weights are the way to go. I have a BCM 16" midlength plus BCM BCG and have run both their H and H2 buffer successfully, even with cheap steelcase. Currently I'm running the H because the H2 is in a similar Daniel Defense midlength but I think I'll get another H2.
Yeah I looked at the H1, but decided for an extra 50 bucks might as well spend it just incase I ever did get my hands on some NV equipment. On the buffer, yes I figured I'd just settle right in the middle, plus it looks cool too lol. Also, I don't have any experience with nickel boron coated BCG's... Are they worth it? From what I understand its not necessarily an "upgrade" from milspec.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #7

I don't think the NiB BCGs are worth it. Some don't even start with a milspec M16 BCG. You're making a wise choice going with the phosphated BCM.

Have you been following the BCG Hot Potato thread? Might want to keep an eye on it, a bunch of guys are going to test a Black Rain coated BCG.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just got done reading through the recent pages that I hadn't read yet, but I am following it. Interesting thus far.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Hey Quentin just curious why solid weights are the way to go? I don't have much experience but I like the way the Spikes ST-T2 buffer feels/sounds (in my BCM 16" middy) smooth compared to a standard H buffer where I could hear and feel the weights rattling back and forth. I didn't notice any difference in cycling performance either. Is there another reason why the solid weights are preferred over the tungsten powder?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #10

Unlike solid weights, powder weight doesn't give a second impact as the bolt chambers a fresh cartridge. There are slow motion videos on YouTube that show how the bolt bounces after chambering using powder buffers and how that is canceled by the second impact of proper solid weights. This is a design feature of the M16/M4 and of course matters much more for automatic fire but still could cause a slightly out of battery experience.

Anyway that buffer rattle is a good thing - it's the way the rifle should operate.

______