Scout rifle delima
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Scout rifle delima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scout rifle delima

I recently finished my first AR build and I am already planning my next project. I want a scout rifle. I am in love with the LaRue OBR in 7.62 but that price tag is hard to handle. What I am looking for is guidance. I like the idea of an AR but don't know if I can handle the price buying one out right, and I don't know if I could build one in the larger caliber for the right price and get the right result. I want a rifle that will far surpass my shooting capabilities. I want my rifle to be able to drop an elk at 500+ if I am good enough. I'm just throwing this out there fishing for ideas. I am not opposed to a stand alone but I would like an AR type "sniper" rifle.

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

IMHO you are looking at two different animals there. A scout rifle is a short range rifle of good (not necessarily great) precision and good (not neccesarily great) power. A scout rifle is intended to be a 200 yard rifle. The standard caliber for such a platform is .308. .308 will accurately shoot 500 yards, out of the right rifle in the right hands. It is not normally considered a 500 yard elk caliber. Many people would not even consider it a 200 yard elk caliber.

500 yards on elk? I vote .300 Win Mag or larger

Use the right tool for the job.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Bad word choice. How about this. I want a sniper rifle. I will not be hunting elk with this gun, in most cases it will be nothing more than texas whitetail and hogs. I have plenty of deer rifles capable of making long range shots but I would like something like a large caliber AR that will reach out beyond my shooting capabilities. I know there are a lot of rounds out there and I try to research but it is a little overwhelming. I want to build a great rifle in the caliber with the best internal and external ballistics.

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'd say 6.5 Grendal. I was real interested in it a couple years ago and did some research at it has some legs.

My issue was ammo availability and price. Wolf is now making lower priced ammo.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

delima?

or delima?

I'm just making a funny and being an ass.

My advice for you is to look at:

(similar price point as LaRue but you could build one for less)

AR10 SuperS.A.S.S. RIFLE 7.62 FORWARD ASSIST BLACK

Uppers are on sale for the holiday (they're still smoking something good but I like it)

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10002025F&ReturnUrl=Categories. aspx?Category=e92d134a-2fae-454b-a1cd-eb398588add2

Here is a lower with NM trigger to go with that upper making a $2100 price tag + a Magpul PRS stock if desired.

http://www.762sass.com/product.php?p=350&cid=5&session=02871e5222cced63c7 56bfeee1efc542

Be Well.

Last edited by neilage66; 12-17-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Public humiliation win!! Thank you for helping me with my dilemma. I don't know much about 7.62 and up but am I correct in saying I could expect 800+ meters out of a 20" LaRue or S.A.S.S. Now is it possible to build one for say half the cost and expect that kind of range. Mjkeat will the 6.5 run on same platform of my AR or is it different like 308

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm gonna suggest doing a little research, wikipedia has a ton of info. See if the 6.5 grendel suits you needs, then see if the price and availibility of ammo works for you.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaynebb View Post
Public humiliation win!! Thank you for helping me with my dilemma. I don't know much about 7.62 and up but am I correct in saying I could expect 800+ meters out of a 20" LaRue or S.A.S.S. Now is it possible to build one for say half the cost and expect that kind of range. Mjkeat will the 6.5 run on same platform of my AR or is it different like 308
Yes 800 meters is doable with 7.62 NATO in either platform.

No humiliation intended...just funnin' with you.

I always pronounce the word de-lemon so...

Be Well.