Scope sight-in problems.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Scope sight-in problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Scope sight-in problems.

I'm confounded.

I originally put my Vortex Viper PST 1-4x mounted on a ADM scout x qd mount, with a 18" black hole weaponry .223 wylde stainless barrel, SPR type build. I was getting cloverleafs at 50 yards with American Eagle 55 fmj.

Now, I traded my friend for for my 15" Samson evolution handguards for his 15" MI SS handguards. Changing out the handguards necessitated a barrel nut change.

Went this weekend to re-zero my rifle. Started to rezero my rifle and I couldn't get it to rezero. My shots were going all over the place. Literally.

Now I don't think its the shooter (tho I'm not the greatest shot) I was getting 2 inch groups with my friends Savage bolt action .223 with a fixed 10x at 100 yards, using pmc 55gr fmj. I even helped him sight it in as for some reason it was about 6 inches high. I also had some fun with my other friends new Vortex Viper HD 5-20 EBRv2 on his 20" precision setup. Didn't shoot for groups with it but took it out to 500 yards and hit some steel plates with it. Very nice glass.

Now my primary concern, is that I shot one mag of cheap russian steel case ammo, to test out my gas system. One shot stuck and I used a brass rod to eject get it out. I'm afraid I may have scratched the barrel. I can't conceivably understand why my shots were like all over the place. At 50 yards a damaged crown wouldn't make my groups like 4 to 5 inches off would it?

I couldn't sight it in. After about 50 rounds, I called it a day. Decided to try it at a later date.

Here's what i tried.

I tried different ammo. PMC 55 gr fmj, PMC Xtac 55gr fmj. (didn't use the expensive stuff)

I cleaned the barrel numerous times.

I check the crown.

I removed the muzzle device.

I removed the scope, made sure the rings were on tight. I tightened up the qd lever.

I tightened up the handguards (tho the scope is mounted on the upper receiver)

I just kept bringing the POI down, then it would go left, then it would go right, but pretty big amounts. like 3" off at 50 yards.

I need some suggestions to try out, what say you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1854 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Remove the barrel and start over. It actually sounds like the barrel is loose. Unless you used a steel rod you should not have scratched the barrel and a scratch would not affect it that much. A damaged crown could but again a brass or aluminum rod would not have damaged it. Another reason not to fix something that isn't broken.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Just might do that. But I torqued it to spec, and it does wiggle at all. I just hope my scope isn't broke.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #4

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

What Torque are you going to? I've heard that some Folks have had to Torque their Barrel Nuts anywhere from 5 to 15# beyond the recommended Torque to lock down a Barrel to make it work.
Del

Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Tikki , torque , loosen , torque, loosen , torque loosen , then final torque . I have had to go beyond the max to get the gas tube to line up . I also lube my threads with dry Boelube made by Boeing . it keeps the threads from gaulding during this process . Overkill ? probably but if the threads stretch at all this will take care of it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Tikki , torque , loosen , torque, loosen , torque loosen , then final torque . I have had to go beyond the max to get the gas tube to line up . I also lube my threads with dry Boelube made by Boeing . it keeps the threads from gaulding during this process . Overkill ? probably but if the threads stretch at all this will take care of it
Totally agree

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album