scope selection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > scope selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default scope selection

hi there first post after my introduction , i am going to get a rock river arm's lar8 a4 .308 .
i am trying to figure out which scope to get ,i want a quick removable mount ,i am going to still keep fold down iron sight's will only be shooting off the the bench at 100 and 200Yards .dont need a monster scope just clear enough to see the hole's . easy to make adjustment's buy knob's their easier on my finger's any thought's would be helpful ,thank's .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As much as I hate it I've found quality costs when optics are the topic.

I however am a cheapskate and opt out of the $1k plus optics game.

As far as magnification I like the largest magnification I can find for what I want to spend. Of course I research a product before making a purchase.

I would love to have Night Force on every rifle I own but...

For the ranges you listed I'd say 6-18x50 and maybe something w/ a bullet drop comp.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default scope selection

the scope's i have seen the bullet drop comp was calibrated for the .223

Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 690

i would suggest a nikon monarch, or a nikon buckmaster. they are 3x9, or up to 4.5x14 or 6x18. nikon makes very crisp clear scopes, and these run around 300 bucks depending on magnification. and should work fairly well at the ranges listed. seeing holes with the lower mag. scope might be diffacult at 200 yds tho. for that i would go with the 6x18. however the 3x9 would be fine for hitting that target at that distance. just hard to see the little holes

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #5

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitek View Post
hi there first post after my introduction , i am going to get a rock river arm's lar8 a4 .308 .
i am trying to figure out which scope to get ,i want a quick removable mount ,i am going to still keep fold down iron sight's will only be shooting off the the bench at 100 and 200Yards .dont need a monster scope just clear enough to see the hole's . easy to make adjustment's buy knob's their easier on my finger's any thought's would be helpful ,thank's .
use the dirty bird targets in order to see your bullet holes ALOT better............just buy the 8-inch circle bullseyes and you can almost see them with the naked eye @ 100 yds.

as for the scope, Nikon makes very affordable ones. depending on the amount of $ you want to throw @ the optical portion of your rifle, there's a scope for EVERY situation.........from $25 all the way up to, and surpassing $5500.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ever thought of just going to Wally World and buying their little sixty dollar spotting scope? I bought one and, shockingly, at 100 yards you can easily see the holes. Haven't tried 200, and think that may be a bit of a stretch for it, but I don't shoot 200 yards.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As JJ stated Nikon makes some great scopes that will fit your needs very well. The Buckmaster 4.5-14 would do everything you asked of it and if you get a BDC reticle you can really reach out there especially if you also utilize Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program.
It's free ay Nikonhuntig.com, just register.
Also, a great promotion on the Buckmaster right now as well. Buy one from and Authorized Nikon Dealer and get a coupon for a Free Nikon Dig. camera, a $120 value.
I hope this info helps?
Drop me a note if you have more questions.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default scope selection

that give's me a lot to think about ,right now they are a little rich for my blood after i buy the rifle i will be on a champaine taste with a beer budget ,i might have to lower my expectations a little bit !

Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I just bought a Weaver Super Slam scope for my 458 SOCOM. I mainly buy higher priced optics,but knowing the punishment that the 458 puts on optics,I figured I save a little money and try to kill this one first.
I was amazed at the quality and clarity of this scope. I'd say,the glass is right with a Bushnell 4200 or Zeiss Conquest on clarity

Weaver's have a lifetime warranty,so no worries there.And Weaver has always made a pretty tough scope.

Natchez Shooters Supply has them on sell right now,and the Super Slam also has a $50 mail in rebate.
I was really impressed with this scope,you might want to look at them.

Mine is a 3-15x50mm with the duplex reticle.