Scope? Red Dot? I dont know what I need... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Scope? Red Dot? I dont know what I need...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2399 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

I like the EOTech Sights. Preferably the Model 512 cost wise or one of the new Models who use the 123 Battery.
Great and fast for defense uses and with the 1 MOA Reticle very easy to make a good 100 yard shot. In addition various reticle brightness settings.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

My AR is carrying a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4X24 with a 30 mm tube, 4A reticle and a 1 moa illuminated red dot. You still have a scope if the battery fails. It weighs about 16 oz. If you want lighter, look at the 25mm red dots. I have several Bushnell TRS 25's. 3moa red dot and they only weigh a few ounces. You will need a 3/4" riser. Battery life is 3k hours. The higher end stuff is really nice but expensive.

ar15.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1046 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 434

If you are going to run the carbine at in-home distances (for normal houses) I would use an EoTech XPS because it has a wider field of view. I like the GG&G mounts for the EoTech because it's easy to dump the optic if it won't turn on, gets damaged, or gets dirty.

If you are going to run the carbine to 100 yards outside, I would consider an Aimpoint Comp M3/M4. You can save $50-$75 on otherwise identical non-NV compatible versions. If you have a PVS-14 or plan to purchase one, I'd recommend the Comp M3 or Comp M4. There are a variety of good mounts for Aimpoints, but I like the Larue Tactical lever mounts. The extra weight of the Comp M4 is not worth it, in my opinion, even if it's nice that it uses a AA battery. I have left a Comp M3 "on" for a number of years now at a setting that's usable indoors during the daytime and have yet to replace the battery.

If you ever have to shoot from less than ideal positions, at night, with only one hand, or most especially while moving, then red dot optics like an Aimpoint or EoTech are really helpful.

Magnification is nice but not necessary at 100 yards if your eyes still function relatively well.

For all-round utility, I'd say the Aimpoint Comp M3 or Comp M4 if you must have a AA battery.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #14

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Thanks for all the great info guys! So with a red dot like the Aimpoint CompM3 like I've been looking at, what kind of group could I get at 100yds from a bench rest without a magnifier? Like I say, I've never seen through one so I'm just curious what their capabilities are at that distance with no magnification.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Depending on the gun and ammo of course you should be able to hold every shot inside the red dot. With a defined target like a sighting target you will be able to hold a tighter group due to the sighting references.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
Thanks for all the great info guys! So with a red dot like the Aimpoint CompM3 like I've been looking at, what kind of group could I get at 100yds from a bench rest without a magnifier? Like I say, I've never seen through one so I'm just curious what their capabilities are at that distance with no magnification.
That's exactly what I mean. A red dot isn't for precision shooting. Don't use it to see what kind of groups you can do at 100 yards. If you want that kind of shooting, go with an optic with crosshairs. Even the 1 moa dot in the center of an Eotech's reticle isn't really suited fr this type of shooting. In answer to your question tho, if your ammo and gun are up to the task, expect the best you can expect is 4 moa or 2 moa, depending on which reticle you get with the Comp M3. I can't get any more specific sorry, but with a little time behind one, you will see what I mean. Please just bear in mind that is not the right tool for that job.

What red dots excel at is speed. Going from low ready to sight picture, its the fastest option bar none. As for field of view, what you want to do is mount the red dot as far forward on the upper receiver as possible. The closer you get it to your eye, the more the rest of the sight blocks your field of view. That's why Micros are nice. Not only are they light weight, but the body of the sight is small so it doesn't take a lot of real estate from your FOV.

When you go from low ready to ready with your irons, expect that right off the bat you will cut your time in half. With practice you will probably half that time.

There are a few things you will do differently. So you will have to practice keeping both eyes open, focusing on your target (not the front sight, which is an another HUGE advantage imho), getting a consistent check weld (this goes for both irons and red dots), and finally timing (finding the dot while its still in your periphery vision, and guiding it to the target). For HD/SD and minute of man work inside 200 yards, go with a red dot, and you will NOT regret it.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

ClemsonSCJ,

I'm not sure what size groups others get with their setups, but I use a Colt 6520/6720 (pencil barrel AR with a carbine length gas system with stock Colt internals, MagPul CTR stock, MagPul MOE grip) with an EoTech XPS (discontinued single dot model) or Aimpoint Comp M3. The dot size of my EoTech XPS is 1 MOA (equivalent to one inch at 100 yards). The dot size of my Comp M3 is 2 MOA (equivalent to two inches at 100 yards). My group sizes range from about 3-4 inches, depending on range conditions (the range I like to go to has a pretty strong cross wind towards the end of the day), using either make of red dot. I typically use Federal XM193 55 grain FMJ ammunition.

Neither the ammunition or carbine I use are "match" quality. I consider that to be more than acceptable accuracy for a carbine and ammunition combination that was designed for combat versus target shooting. I am shooting in seated and prone positions at these distances for stability. I tend to grasp the forearm lightly or the magazine well, as I've noticed clamping down on the forearm can shift the group. I don't use my sling. There may be guys on this forum who can shoot over their shoulder with a mirror and hit quarters with their AR's at 100 yards, but I'm not one of those guys. Like anyone else, I have good days and bad days. Sometimes my groups are slightly less than 2 inches, but 3-4 inches is normative. I shoot 5 shot strings, rhythm fire, with about 2-4 seconds pause between trigger pulls.

If your groups are less than 6 inches at 100 yards and you aim for center mass, that's a kill. I see lots of shooters who have a hard time hitting the paper or have their rounds all over the paper. If you can produce a 6 inch or less group size at 100 yards with your carbine/ammo combination, that's about as much accuracy as you'll ever need and you'll be way ahead of a good 80% of the rifle shooters I see on the range. If you want sniper-like precision, purchase a Remington 700 or Winchester 70 in .308 or .30-06 with a piece of glass that costs as much or more than your AR.

As previously stated, magnification helps but I've not found it to be necessary at 100 yards. If you can already produce a 6 inch group or less at 100 yards with your iron sights, then you should have no difficulty performing the same task with the red dot. If you can't, I would invest some time and money in marksmanship fundamentals (perhaps attend a class) so that you see a return-on-investment with your purchase of optics.

Every trip I make to the range, even though I have optics, I spend some time with the red dot turned off so that I can continue to practice with the iron sights. The quality red dot optics made today are quite rugged, but anything mechanical or electrical (or both in the case of a red dot optic) can and will fail at the most inopportune time.

Lastly, anything mounted to an AR with a screw requires locktite. I forgot that with a new flip-up BUIS one time and couldn't figure out why I was chasing my rounds trying to zero it until it nearly fell off the rifle.

Last edited by kbd512; 03-30-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #18

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Great info KBD, I concur. Loctite everything and I do think your results are realistic. I can't stand people who boast their AR groups 1" at 100 yards with 4 moa red dot, and 55 gr wolf ammo. It doesn't matter if their using a 26" JP, or a 16" DPMS, ain't gonna happen........

Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I would like to add that a previously owned 6921 (16 inch M4 profile barrel) and a previously owned 6721 (16 inch heavy profile barrel) did not group significantly better than the 6520/6720 (16 inch light profile barrel). Both rifles had a very similar configuration (stock Colt internals, MagPul CTR stock, and MIAD vs MOE grip) and the exact same Comp M3 in a Larue Tactical mount. I have seen approximately .5 inch to 1 inch better groups with the 6721 than with my 6520/6720 with the exact same ammunition. That's pretty insignificant by my standards and I sold those two carbines because the weight and balance disadvantage is not insignificant, to me, when you carry it all day and move around with it. Given that the cost was quite similar for all three carbines, I eventually tried and purchased the 6520/6720 combination.

I am completely satisfied with the Colt 6520/6720 carbine's performance with XM193 and I would not use other types of ammunition for home defense and don't care if you can pop quarters at 100 yards with expensive match ammunition. You can't shoot enough of it to be proficient unless you're a sponsored shooter (government) and availability is not always there.

My future plans for accuracy experimentation with my 6520 are a Geissele SSA-E trigger and that's about it. I'll let you know if I get my inch back over the heavier barreled Colt carbines after sufficient testing. If I can get consistent 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with XM193, a better trigger, and my optics, I'll stop there and call it good.