Scope for POF .308 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Scope for POF .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post

I was looking at the Leupold scopes and
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!@!)((!@$)(!@$

That picture sums up my frustration. I should give up now and stick with iron sights.
All depends on what you're doing with your scope. Mine doesn't look like that, its a little different, but I use it and the data you get from it is very valuable.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #22

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't like the straight duplex sights. I would like something with a bullet drop compensator.

I'm seriously considering this:
Walmart.com: Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Side Focus Rifle Scope in Matte with BDC Riflescope: Hunting

Stop me if you think I'll be disappointed. I do love the Nikon i have on the .458 (standard duplex)

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
All depends on what you're doing with your scope. Mine doesn't look like that, its a little different, but I use it and the data you get from it is very valuable.
I'm just saying, try to count the piggies.
Let alone pick out the one you want to shoot:

note, this was fun to make in photoshop, Please also answer my previous psot.

- Gloves
or

Last edited by Gloves; 10-20-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added note

Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6204 Times on 3268 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
I don't like the straight duplex sights. I would like something with a bullet drop compensator.

I'm seriously considering this:
Walmart.com: Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Side Focus Rifle Scope in Matte with BDC Riflescope: Hunting

Stop me if you think I'll be disappointed. I do love the Nikon i have on the .458 (standard duplex)
Bdc has been around since ww2 with the russian pu scopes its part of their military sniper doctrine and doesnt work all that well. My opinion bdc isnt good enough for ethical hunting. My opinion is it magnifies range estimation errors. It compounds the guess made by the scope maker on how your individual load and rifle perform along with end user range guess errors.

Its like trying to take a shortcut. If there was such a thing as a shortcut it would be the main route of travel...

Quote:
I'm just saying, try to count the piggies.
Let alone pick out the one you want to shoot:

note, this was fun to make in photoshop, Please also answer my previous psot.
I believe thats the very pricey horus reticle. Supposed to be fast but i dont see how. Im sure once the pattern is memorized it can be but that reticle blocks a lot of vision!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #25

Instead of using a BDC reticule you would rather estimate estimate range and adjust MOA clicks?

I'm not sure if other scope manufactures provide this type of software. This Nikon software looks pretty sold.

Actual software: Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program
(it requires you to install Java by Sun Microsystems) It's fun to play with.

- Gloves
or

Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #26

I was just playing around with that software some, using the scope I'm thinking about buying. Also using the ammo I'm most likely to go hunting with.

Hornady 308 Win 150 gr InterLock® BTSP

This is what I will print out an put on my rifle.
Then I'll go to the range and test to be sure the load works the same.

You can really get to know your round before you even make it to the range.

Basically @ 300 yards, it drops 1'
One thing for me to note, the FPS I used was based on a 24" barrel and I'll only be getting a 20" barrel. So should I knock it down 100 fps?

- Gloves
or

Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6204 Times on 3268 Posts
Likes Given: 450

you still have to estimate range. doesnt matter whether your using a bdc or mildot or moa or milrad.

the difference is how much versatility you want.

i like using the dials and reticle. in my nxs ive got 30moa of hash marks before i have to touch the elevation dial. i use the hash marks like a bdc. its just not marked in yards. when used in conjunction with the elevation dial my moa reticle can easily be turned into a very accurate bdc. just a cheat sheet for whatever load. a ballistic program really helps.

for one round i use it has 10inches of drop at 300yds with 100yard zero. so all i gotta do is hold 3.5 hash marks of elevation. or give 5 clicks up and hold 2 marks if i want to be more precise.

anyway i can tune my reticle for any given range and any given ammo. i just like the versatility. used in conjunction with my laser range finder its pretty slick. i can quickly make a range card for a field of fire and get after it.

any reticle can be used as one just have to know what the measurements of the reticle xhairs are in moa mil or milrad or inches. even a standard duplex scope can be used as a poor man's bdc. just a matter of knowing the manufacturers measurements.

im not saying bdc is bad or evil but its not a no-homework solution, its just different, and external ballistic programs do greatly help

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #28

Jon you are a wealth of information.
Did you say what scope you have?

- Gloves
or