Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Scope for POF .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4512 Times on 2373 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Solid construction - will hold up to recoil without drifting

its how the dials are constructed that will hold up or not. this is one of the costlier areas to construct. this is a major cost in scopes like nightforce and the leupold mk4

Magnification - Cheap and expensive scopes claim big numbers 4 to 26 / 6 to 24 power... so more expensive doesn't get you bigger zoom.

not really it does cost more but again its how well the glass is made and how well its mounted. ive had cheaper scopes delaminate the lens under heavy recoil.

Size of front lens - 35 mm vs 40 mm vs 50 mm, I know this has some of the cost built into it but not a tremendous amount.

its not just the objective its also the distance between lenses and the size of the rest of the lenses. bigger without a fish eye effect at the edges costs money.

Clarity - I've looked through expensive scopes and less-expensive scopes and they all seem to be brighter than daylight.

try looking through the edges and under lower light conditions thats where glass clarity comes into play.

Reticule - Mildot, Cross hair, illuminated etc... not sure if this has to do with cost but a personal preference.

this can get really pricey especially if you opt for a front focal plane reticle. reticles like the horus and a few other propriartary ones are very expensive. my personal preference after much soul searching is moa hash marks. i know how to use mildots but its too much mental hulahoops. i think in inches not mils. ive got one mildot and one moa i prefer the moa.
Eye Relief - Don't know if this has cost built into it, but eye distance from scope 3-5" I would think is desirable.

3-5" is typical but its got more to do with the zoom level than anything. scopes with a very wide range of zoom will have you moving your head a lot. personally i dont like huge range of zoom.

Blackout - (i think this is what it's called) I think this is what separates the Thousand dollar scope from the hundred dollar scope. How much range of motion you have before you see nothing but black.

not really its the effect of being out of range of the eye relief. schmitt bender have gradual gradient of grey to black nightforce goes from clear to black snappy damn fast. i prefer the way the nightforce works. i KNOW the eye relief is right and dont have to guess if that little smudge is me being out of eye relief or not.

Field of view - Doesn't this have to do with magnification? Or can i go with a big zoom and still see a wide picture? Is this what costs $$$?

pretty much zoom level most scopes will be similar in field of view. the bigger the objective lens the wider the field of view at a given range.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-15-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Blackbeard1718, that's the kind of info I'm looking for!

In CA we aren't allowed to hunt 1 hour after dusk. so the low-light isn't that necessary. So do you think i need a 50mm ? I was thinking defiantly a 40mm.

What are people's thoughts on Nikon Scopes? I love the one i got on top of the .458

JonM can't wait to read yours but i'm leaving work right now.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1001 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Gloves,The glass in the Weaver Super Slam is a lot better than the Nikon Monarch glass.
I just put a 3-15x50 Weaver Super Slam on my 458 SC and it's a very nice and quality scope for the price.I also purchased it thru Natchez,for around $350.It also has a $50 mail in rebate.

I have quite a few scopes on my rifles that are $800 and up,and I was surprised by the quality of the Weaver Super Slam.

Weaver 3-15X50 Super Slam Riflescope Side Focus Dual-X Reticle Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies 3-15X50 Super Slam Riflescope Side Focus Dual-X Reticle Matte

Old 10-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post

In CA we aren't allowed to hunt 1 hour after dusk. so the low-light isn't that necessary. So do you think i need a 50mm ? I was thinking defiantly a 40mm.

What are people's thoughts on Nikon Scopes? I love the one i got on top of the .458

depends on what your hunting and how far your expecting to shoot. my max shot is 150 yards on whitetail so on my 458 socom i use a 4x scope right now its got a nikon african monarch. the only issue ive got with it is it doesnt hold zero on atvs. too much vibration. i wont be going deer hunting this year due to work requirements but for next year this is going on my socom: COMPACT 1-4x24 NXS

im not the end all on scopes tho there are much more knowledgable folks than about scopes lurking around

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-15-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #15
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1001 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
depends on what your hunting and how far your expecting to shoot. my max shot is 150 yards on whitetail so on my 458 socom i use a 4x scope right now its got a nikon african monarch. the only issue ive got with it is it doesnt hold zero on atvs. too much vibration. i wont be going deer hunting this year due to work requirements but for next year this is going on my socom: COMPACT 1-4x24 NXS

im not the end all on scopes tho there are much more knowledgable folks than about scopes lurking around
Hell Jon,I don't think I could see a target with a 4x at 150 yards.

My eyes are like the rest of me,Beat up from many years of abuse.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post

Friend of mine has a Coyote Special series Nikon on top of his Savage Model 10 with a similar styled synthetic camo stock. They match well and he likes his. That's about all the experience I have with Nikon scopes, i stick mostly to leupold on mine.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Hell Jon,I don't think I could see a target with a 4x at 150 yards.

My eyes are like the rest of me,Beat up from many years of abuse.
ya your milage varies i need glasses to shoot decent i do very well with open sights but scopes im still learning. if you need the extra oomph get a nice 9x or bigger. when i get much past 15x mirage gets to be a big factor and just holding the rifle twitches the xhairs a lot for me.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #18

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

John, I finished reading your response. In fact i read it twice. You sould make a sticky post 'What to look for in a scope' or 'Choose the right scope for your shooting activity'

In any case...
This will be my 3rd scope.
1st scope was a 4x chinese ACOG style that broke every way possible under the .458.
2nd scope is the Nikon 1.65-5 x 36 - I finally zeroed it and can't wait to use it more often.
Nikon Omega 8441 All Riflescopes - Sports Optics

I like the MOA. I've read a few articles on how to use Mildot and still had a hard time understanding. MOA I can do!

I don't feel that all scoped rifles need to have backup irons. In fact i see most hunting rifles only have one or the other. backup flip sights would be nice. But i think it's kind a luxury.

my god, too many choices of scopes.
I think i'll want something starting at 4x and zooming between 12x and 18x

I was looking at the Leupold scopes and
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!@!)((!@$)(!@$

That picture sums up my frustration. I should give up now and stick with iron sights.

Someone tell me, "hand's down this is the scope you need to get for your rifle"

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1258 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 443

CA357 has a scope for sale that might suit your current needs. $120. It is in the firearms for sale section.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #20

It may be here and I just missed it, but I didn't see where you said exactly what the purpose of the rifle is. I know you mentioned something about hunting laws, but I'm not sure if that's the primary purpose. Purpose of the scope/rifle is going to make a big difference in what scope people recommend.

IMO, if you bought that rifle for hunting, you are going to be unhappy with it. While it is a super nice rifle, it is far too much rifle for hunting, and is, imo, too heavy for a hunting rifle.

If hunting is the purpose, a 3-9 is more than enough. When you crank it up to higher powers and put the crosshairs over the animal, you won't be able to see anything but fur, and will thus have a hard time knowing exactly where you're aiming. Just something to think about.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"