Scope for POF .308
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Scope for POF .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Scope for POF .308

I'm looking into scopes for the Patriot Ordnance Factory's POF 308.
My budget at the most for this is $300. I spent way too much on this rifle.

POF-USA Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc.

Sorry, no pics. I'll be waiting until Christmas for it to come in. I've been eyeballing a few scopes that would work well for 50 to 300 yards.

6-24x44 IR SWAT Sniper Scope by Barska - Sniper Scopes by BARSKA

Any objections / suggestions?

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #2

My advice is to shoot it with irons for the time being, and save up until you can get a good scope. If you get a cheap scope, you're not going to be happy, especially with such a nice rifle. Just my opinion though.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
My advice is to shoot it with irons for the time being, and save up until you can get a good scope. If you get a cheap scope, you're not going to be happy, especially with such a nice rifle. Just my opinion though.

-Fred
I agree. 308 in a short barrel will beat a cheap scope to death. Especially if you have a muzzle brake. Yes 20" is short for a 308.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

THE POF-308 doesn't come with irons. I was thinking I might skip this step.

I do hear people say, get a good scope, but isn't a mediocre scope better than irons? Having a fixed 4x cheap scope will get you smaller groups than irons?

When looking for a good scope what am i looking for?

• Solid construction - will hold up to recoil without drifting
  • Magnification - Cheap and expensive scopes claim big numbers 4 to 26 / 6 to 24 power... so more expensive doesn't get you bigger zoom.
  • Size of front lens - 35 mm vs 40 mm vs 50 mm, I know this has some of the cost built into it but not a tremendous amount.
  • Clarity - I've looked through expensive scopes and less-expensive scopes and they all seem to be brighter than daylight.
  • Reticule - Mildot, Cross hair, illuminated etc... not sure if this has to do with cost but a personal preference.
  • Eye Relief - Don't know if this has cost built into it, but eye distance from scope 3-5" I would think is desirable.
  • Blackout - (i think this is what it's called) I think this is what separates the Thousand dollar scope from the hundred dollar scope. How much range of motion you have before you see nothing but black.
  • Field of view - Doesn't this have to do with magnification? Or can i go with a big zoom and still see a wide picture? Is this what costs $$$?

Sorry for the long list. I'm needing some help here. I can get a great pair of binos for $200-300 why not a great scope?

- Gloves
or

Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #5

Liked 413 Times on 227 Posts

You should look into swift scopes I bought on for my .308 and like it. And it was only $300, including the tactical mounts I bought too.

let the bullets do the talking!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

I'll check out the Swift Scopes

I was also look at these:
Vortex - Camera Land NY

- Gloves
or

Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For that kind of money you could get a Christensen Arms gun, that I think is of a better quality. they Guarantee with quality ammo a sub MOA gun out of the box, not to mention many of the other ammenities that come with them stock and they are very VERY light(sub 7lbs empty).

As for the scope, get something nice and have it mounted and sighted by an expert, I bought a nice scope awhile back and the douchebag put it on wrong and my adjustments were way off for a scope zeroed at 500yrds, I couldn't get a center shot at less than 300 yards had to start using the mils to get on target. It ended up being that the guys "apprentice" had mounted it and he fixed it for free. In his defense I suppose in normal applications this would have been fine for a 200 yrd zero.

As for the question about groups with Irons - If you are Consistent and Proficient with Iron Sights you can maintain very tight groups with them at moderate ranges. Yes at longer ranges, Beyond 200 yards the ability to get an iron sight accurately on a small target does make it difficult to maintain groups, but I have seen good target hits out beyond that with Iron Sights by well trained marksmen. The limitations of Irons are apparent at certain points, however having a rifle without a set of iron sights for backups is - In my Opinion - asking for disaster. If something happens like you drop your rifle or bang it into something in an accident and your scope either breaks or the mounts are damaged or some variation and you don't have some Irons for backups you completely eliminate your chances of finishing out a hunting trip with that gun. Some people carry spares, I just have backup sights for all mine. my Savage doesn't, but I carry a backup 4x scope for it on a quick release mount. No it's not as good as my regular scope, but it's carried in a hardcase in my pack and I check it's zero before I go out with it.

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 10-14-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: irons comment

Old 10-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #8

What's the intended purpose for the rifle? A hunting rifle needs a much different scope than a target rifle.

Also, what distances are you planning on shooting? Will you be shooting at either dawn or dusk, or will it all be during full daylight hours?

The reason I mentioned getting irons first is three fold. A good set of flip up irons is much cheaper than a good scope. They will help get you acquainted with the rifle while you're saving up for a scope. And lastly, as has been stated before, all rifles should have some sort of backup sight setup.

If you buy a cheap scope, two things will probably happen, one is that it will not hold zero well. I made the mistake of buying a cheap scope for an AR10 once, and I was constantly adjusting it. The second thing that will happen is with a rifle like that, as has been stated, it's gonna beat up the scope, and a cheap one won't last long.

On an ending note, you just spent $2500+ on a rifle. Do yourself a favor and put a good scope on it. There's no sense in spending that kind of money on a rifle and running it with cheap glass. It's like buying a Lamborghini and running 87 octane it in.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

My experience with Barska has been the POA shifts with power change. You might consider this scope until you can get your quality variable.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-elite-10x40-mildot-target-turrets-argon-fixed-riflescope.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-14-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Add link

Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Check SWFA and Natchez for some Great Prices on Scopes.

I don't believe you'll be happy with the Barska on your 308, with the amount of Recoil you'll get. Chances are, you'll lose ZERO pretty quick, and spend your Range Time trying to Re-ZERO your Scope. Do some research, spend a little more money the first time, so you don't have to go back and buy another Scope later, after experiencing Buyer's-Remorse.

If you're going to be shooting that far, I'd suggest something with an AO (Adjustable Objective), like a 4-16x50 or a 6.5-20x50. FYI, if you buy a Scope with a Larger Objective Bell (The front end of the Scope), you'll allow more light to enter. So, look at the last number of the Scope Size, such as 4-16x50..... the "50" is the Bell Size.

Also, choose your Reticle carefully. Some shooters who buy Scopes with Mil-Dot Reticles, post reviews that the Reticle is great for 50-100 yds, however, the size of the Mil-Dot can cover up the Target at greater distances.

I'd suggest a brand like Bushnell, Vortex, Weaver, Leupold, etc., that fits your Scope Budget.

FYI, I just bought a Nitrex 4-16x50 Scope (Made by Weaver, and same as the Weaver Grand Slam...) from Natchez last week for $179 on Closeout. The original price was $410. I mounted it on my AR-15 yesterday, and it Sights easily. I fired 100 Rounds, and the Scope held ZERO perfectly.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Last edited by Blackbeard1718; 10-14-2011 at 11:58 PM.