scope on my AR help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > scope on my AR help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1992d View Post
Ill definetly check them out. But if i just bought rings that raise the scope up would that work too?
Jon, it looks like you are using "low" rings. They come in a variety of heights including medium, high and extra high. If you don't need the high or extra high to clear back-up irons maybe a set of good mediums might be just the ticket to get your scope up off your gun.

The big advantage of the one-piece AR scope mounts is that they can be dismounted and mounted easily without losing zero. That can happen with quick-dismount rings too I guess, but to a lesser degree I would think.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 12-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS11 View Post
Thanks for the Joe Bob link. I too am looking to mount a scope on my AR. Now..... what scope to buy?
That's a hard question to answer. What range are you going to be shooting most often and what budget do you have? Some scopes go up to $2,500 and beyond just for the scope alone. I'm not sure the average shooter needs anything like that though IMO.

I saw a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 today at amazon for $139 with free shipping. That's a good solid scope without going crazy on the price. I like the scopes that have low maginification for most shooting inside 100 yards, but also have some extra magnification for the longer shots. I find that I use 4 to 6 power most often.

The scopes that go to 16 & 24 power are for things like hunting coyotes and stuff at very long ranges. They're kind of big on an AR for my liking.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #13

Liked 56 Times on 32 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I just got back from shooting and everytime i shot it threw my zero off a bit i think ill go with the high rings and get the irons that fold down

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #14

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 34

best buy in a mount and get the cantilever version
Rock River Arms: RRA Hi-Rise Scope Mounts and Rings
http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?category=405 see if you find a scope here many are remanufactured but look new abd have full warrenty.

Joe bob??? There price is higher than direct from RRA. Thats just crasy.

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-11-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Best buy in an AR scope mount is from Larue Tactical. They're expensive but the best available.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
best buy in a mount and get the cantilever version
Rock River Arms: RRA Hi-Rise Scope Mounts and Rings
Scopes - Natchez Shooters Supplies see if you find a scope here many are remanufactured but look new abd have full warrenty.

Joe bob??? There price is higher than direct from RRA. Thats just crasy.
Better look again, the 1" cantilever mount we were talking about goes for $60 at the Rock River site where Joe Bob's goes for $55.95.................not so crazy!!!

Last edited by Snakedriver; 12-12-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6356 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Better look again, the 1" cantilever mount we were talking about goes for $60 at the Rock River site where Joe Bob's goes for $55.95.................not so crazy!!!
joe bob shipping 6.75$ to wisconsin, rra shipping free over 25$.

shipping costs are often overlooked which is why some things appear cheaper than others

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 12-12-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
joe bob shipping 6.75$ to wisconsin, rra shipping free over 25$.

shipping costs are often overlooked which is why some things appear cheaper than others
Jon, I bought mine with my MBUS sights, so I got free shipping for my order since it was over $90 AND I took advantage of the 5% Veterans discount offered by Joe Bob's, so I got my mount delivered to my door in just a couple of days for $53.15.

I can't ever seem to shop at Joe Bob's without running up a tab over $90, so I almost always get free shipping.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:47 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6356 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Jon, I bought mine with my MBUS sights, so I got free shipping for my order since it was over $90 AND I took advantage of the 5% Veterans discount offered by Joe Bob's, so I got my mount delivered to my door in just a couple of days for $53.15.

I can't ever seem to shop at Joe Bob's without running up a tab over $90, so I almost always get free shipping.
ya shipping is where a lot of vendors get ya. i too seldom have to pay shipping by buying to little *sigh*

took me a hile to find that promag battery rail cover holder mbus2 sights at the same vendor in stock. ordered off are51 two weeks ago and its still not here yet *sigh*

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent