Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   scope on my AR help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/scope-my-ar-help-53357/)

jon1992d 12-11-2011 03:50 AM

scope on my AR help

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 36053

As you can se the scope on my ar 15 is sitting on the barrel. It is not pulling or stuck on there tightly it just fits perfectly on top. But im worried about it. Will it damage the scope when i fire or pit it off sight at all since it is touching? Sorry if i explaned yjis odd but im new (ish) to guns. I can more details if needed.

jon1992d 12-11-2011 03:52 AM

If your seeing the picture upside down its because i took it with my cell phone sideways i apologize

Scratch 12-11-2011 04:02 AM

What about getting a riser for it...?

JonM 12-11-2011 04:07 AM

It can throw yoir shots off. It wont damage the scope shooting 223/556 but you should get a little higher set of rings

jon1992d 12-11-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
It can throw yoir shots off. It wont damage the scope shooting 223/556 but you should get a little higher set of rings

Thats what i figured and i was planning on buying higher rings. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt gonna bust anything tomorow shooting. thanks to the so called expert at the local chain sporting store i got rings that dont fit for the ar. Thank you both for the help tho

mjkeat 12-11-2011 05:00 AM

Won't it interfere w/ the barrel as it flexes? And if so is it even a problem?

vmkeith 12-11-2011 08:39 AM

It would probably be best for you to get a one piece scope mount that is designed for AR platforms. For about $60 you can get a high rise cantilever scope mount from RRA, or the Burris PEPR mount for about $90. It looks like you are using individual Weaver rings, which can cause problems such as what you are seeing, as well as possible eye relief problems.

Snakedriver 12-11-2011 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vmkeith (Post 648661)
It would probably be best for you to get a one piece scope mount that is designed for AR platforms. For about $60 you can get a high rise cantilever scope mount from RRA, or the Burris PEPR mount for about $90. It looks like you are using individual Weaver rings, which can cause problems such as what you are seeing, as well as possible eye relief problems.

Jon, your set-up looks pretty low to me. I went with RRA mount mentioned above by VMkeith that I got at Joe Bob Outfitters for around $55. It fits perfect and is rock solid. It also places the scope at the perfect height that allows for very comfortable cheekweld and eye placement. It also comes in a 30mm tube size if you need.

Joe Bob's is a site vendor/sponser and I highly recomend them. Excellent service and quick shipping. Here's a link to the scope mount I bought from them:

Cantilever Scope Mount

They also have the Burris PEPR for around $70:

Burris AR-P.E.P.R Mount 1 Inch W/PTOP

I don't have the large aperture bell on the front of mine like you do, but you can see how it will work well with one.

jon1992d 12-11-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver

Jon, your set-up looks pretty low to me. I went with RRA mount mentioned above by VMkeith that I got at Joe Bob Outfitters for around $55. It fits perfect and is rock solid. It also places the scope at the perfect height that allows for very comfortable cheekweld and eye placement. It also comes in a 30mm tube size if you need.

Joe Bob's is a site vendor/sponser and I highly recomend them. Excellent service and quick shipping. Here's a link to the scope mount I bought from them:

Cantilever Scope Mount

They also have the Burris PEPR for around $70:

Burris AR-P.E.P.R Mount 1 Inch W/PTOP

I don't have the large aperture bell on the front of mine like you do, but you can see how it will work well with one.

Ill definetly check them out. But if i just bought rings that raise the scope up would that work too?

ALS11 12-11-2011 04:47 PM

Thanks for the Joe Bob link. I too am looking to mount a scope on my AR. Now..... what scope to buy?