scope mounts - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > scope mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1036 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Quentin, give joebob (he's a vet also) a call, I'll bet he'll make the 5% adjustment being you ordered today.

I have had nothing but good service, quality merchandise, and fast shipping, from joebob.
Thanks Car, I thought about that but it was my mistake so I'll won't bother him. Next order I'll remember.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharder0002 View Post
I got regular scope mounts and then just bought an inch riser [picatinny top] for $20 at a local gun shop. Amazon has them pretty cheap and they work fine
Right now I'm doing something like that except using two separate tall mounts. Works pretty well and is lighter than the PEPR but I don't have quite enough eye relief which the cantilever should correct. I'm also thinking even though the PEPR is heavier it might keep zero better than two mounts that use the scope tube to keep them in adjustment. Right now I do notice a little zero drift when I remove then later remount the scope.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Right now I'm doing something like that except using two separate tall mounts. Works pretty well and is lighter than the PEPR but I don't have quite enough eye relief which the cantilever should correct. I'm also thinking even though the PEPR is heavier it might keep zero better than two mounts that use the scope tube to keep them in adjustment. Right now I do notice a little zero drift when I remove then later remount the scope.
.............and with the one-piece you can pop the scope and mount right off, shoot with your irons for a while, then put the scope rig back on your AR and still be zeroed perfectly. You wouldn't think you could, but it really works.

My scope has 4.5 to 5" of eye-relief and with the cantilevered scope mounts it's nice to have the scope forward some so it's not right there jamming you in the eye.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
.............and with the one-piece you can pop the scope and mount right off, shoot with your irons for a while, then put the scope rig back on your AR and still be zeroed perfectly. You wouldn't think you could, but it really works.

My scope has 4.5 to 5" of eye-relief and with the cantilevered scope mounts it's nice to have the scope forward some so it's not right there jamming you in the eye.
Yeah I think I'm going to like it, Snake. The extra eye relief and being able to grab the charging handle easier and mount a MBUS 2 under the scope. If I'm really lucky I'll be able to move the scope between both my ARs and keep zero, but that might be asking too much!

It was hard to decide between the RRA and PEPR, the RRA is $15 cheaper and made in the US but I liked the PEPR a little better. If I had a RRA upper like you I'd definitely go with the matching mount.

______

Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Yeah I think I'm going to like it, Snake. The extra eye relief and being able to grab the charging handle easier and mount a MBUS 2 under the scope. If I'm really lucky I'll be able to move the scope between both my ARs and keep zero, but that might be asking too much!

It was hard to decide between the RRA and PEPR, the RRA is $15 cheaper and made in the US but I liked the PEPR a little better. If I had a RRA upper like you I'd definitely go with the matching mount.
The RRA mount is rock solid that's for sure, I'm happy with it especially since I've used all the other RRA parts. You made a good chioce with the PEPR though. As you said it's a tad lighter, yet still sturdy, has a sleeker design and I like that it comes with the two different style ring caps that allows you to choose how to use them. The price is right, especially at Joe Bob's.

While I'm happy with the height of the RRA mount, they are high at 3" from centerline of the bore to the centerline of the scope. I think you'll find the PEPR somewhat lower though, yet it won't crowd your MBUS any.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 04-10-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #26

I thought the RRA looked taller but didn't look up the specs on it. Right now I have extra tall mounts that are almost too tall so I'm hoping the PEPR will be about right. I'll find a use for it for sure.

______

Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I thought the RRA looked taller but didn't look up the specs on it. Right now I have extra tall mounts that are almost too tall so I'm hoping the PEPR will be about right. I'll find a use for it for sure.
The height difference between the RRA and the Burris PEPR is only .17" or 11/64" (slightly over 1/8"). Hard to tell if that is significant or not. As I said the RRA seems just about right when doing the nose to charging handle aiming position.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #28

Liked 270 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 27

For me the height of the RRA mount allow easy view thru the scope, no streaching or working to get down to it. Sure not for all but does offer the ability to push a large scope forward. I would not want a scope to sit any lower. It just feels natural. I have a 2.5-10 on mine. I would post a better photo but for some reason the pic are small and not clear on this forum and will not expand clearly useing photo bucket. But here goes-

Old 04-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #29

Just as a side note nikon is doing a free p series or m series mount give away! Just picked up a 3x p223 for150$