Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > school me on AR care

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Nothing wrong w/ that. I know I have talked a lot of crap about cleaning. I haven't always cleaned a firearm before heading to the range for the first time but my newest (BCM SS410) get's cleaned after every range trip w/i a day or two.
Although I clean my guns regularly, being self employed sometimes I can squeeze in a range trip (stress relief!) a couple of times before I find time to clean it.
Plus, in a SHTF situation, I absolutely refuse to have a pampered princess firearm. If it can't handle some roughness, I'm better off with my blades.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Although I clean my guns regularly, being self employed sometimes I can squeeze in a range trip (stress relief!) a couple of times before I find time to clean it.
Plus, in a SHTF situation, I absolutely refuse to have a pampered princess firearm. If it can't handle some roughness, I'm better off with my blades.
The DD, 14.5" BCM, LWRC, .300 BLK, AK, VZ, and whatever else are used well. The BCM SS receives a little more love.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #13

Quote:
The DD, 14.5" BCM, LWRC, .300 BLK, AK, VZ, and whatever else are used well. The BCM SS receives a little more love.
Hopefully, my BCM will have a bit of a hide to it. It'll be well cared for, but I do plan on running a negligence test. (Probably 500 or so rounds through it before I bother cleaning it, at least once.)

Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I went through a handfull of Tula and some Wolf for the same reasons. I stopped before any rifle related problems accured but it was enough to give me a warm fuzzy. There's something to say for knowing what the thing is capable of.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #15

Quote:
I went through a handfull of Tula and some Wolf for the same reasons. I stopped before any rifle related problems accured but it was enough to give me a warm fuzzy. There's something to say for knowing what the thing is capable of.
Although I despise both those types of ammunition, I am well aware, and planning, on shooting it, AFTER my initial break in period. First couple of trips are just bug checks, then I start putting it through it's paces. To me, this firearm has to be a billy goat and eat anything I have to feed it.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Although I despise both those types of ammunition, I am well aware, and planning, on shooting it, AFTER my initial break in period. First couple of trips are just bug checks, then I start putting it through it's paces. To me, this firearm has to be a billy goat and eat anything I have to feed it.
What's the reasoning behind low round counts at the beggining? Nothing says "I Function" like a quick 500 rounds

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #17

Quote:
What's the reasoning behind low round counts at the beggining? Nothing says "I Function" like a quick 500 rounds
I plan on taking 500 rounds on the first trip. I have four PMAG's, for it, and I intend to load them all up fully. First trip it's going to toss 500 down range, just to break it in.
I'll probably buy a box or two of the cheap stuff just to throw it down at that time as well, as long as it functions properly with the normal ammunition.
I understand what you're saying and that is why I'm adjusting my plan. May as well see what she can do on her maiden trip, right?

towboater Likes This 
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #18

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Just keep running rounds thru it . If it fails, fix it and keep running ammo thru it
. I don't abuse my rifles but I do run them hard when I'm using them. There not made to be safe queens . Well mine arent anyway . I bought them for one purpose. Protection, I hope I never have to use them for that purpose but the way our government is running its quite possible . I just call what I do with them practice

Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #19

Quote:
I've been wanting to try Frog Lube.
Do it. I got some about a week ago, and just got my rifle to the range on Tuesday. Prior to taking it to the range, I'd cleaned and lubed the BCG with it.

I ran 200 rounds of Wolf Military Classic as fast as I could through the 3 Lancer mags that I took. The hand-guard was so hot I couldn't even hold it. I had to hold onto the AFG only.

Took the rifle straight home to clean it. It's was still pretty warm at this point so the frog lube was still in it's liquid form. It has a consistency like butter when at room temperature. It didn't look like any of it had burned off, which is why I went away from oils and went to grease in the first place. There was no scrubbing required on any parts of the BCG. Even the boat tail of the bolt came clean with a simple wiping. I was amazed.

After that, I cleaned and lubed the barrel, FCG and buffer and buffer spring with it. You would not believe how smooth everything is now. Prior to using Frog lube, my bolt rings would pass the BCG weight test, now they won't. The trigger pull seems to be smoother, and the charging handle is so smooth and easy to pull.

For the initial cleaning, you are supposed to use a hair dryer to heat up the parts, wipe the Frog lube on, it'll melt, scrub with a brush if necessary, let it cool back down and harden back to butter consistency, then simply wipe off. Once this is done, go back and lube friction points with everything still cool. Then your good to go. Solder brushes work very well for applying it.

When you fire it, all the frog lube melts and goes back to liquid form, so if you are able to clean the rifle when it's still warm, it makes cleaning a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i just got my first AR & i could use all all the help i can get

tell me about the care and cleaning of an AR. i'll likely completely clean it each time i shoot it, cause that's how i roll with all my guns.

do i need any particular tools for break down? i'll read the manual and watch some vids....i just haven't yet.

The CAT M4 Tool is pretty helpful for cleaning the bolt and BCG, you can find videos on YouTube. Q-Tips and pipe cleaners are really handy too.

what should i use to clean/protect the gun? the outside finish?

Frog Lube

would a foam bore cleaner like wipeout/breakfree be ok?

Frog Lube.

what should i use for lube? (all suggestions welcome, but i might get a chance to shoot this weekend, so if anything acceptable could be bought at wal-mart, that would be great).

Frog Lube. If you can't get it before your first range trip, the multi-purpose grease as MJ mentioned works well. Either white lithium or the red high temp stuff.

any other thoughts?

many thanks!
Frog Lube is awesome. I would encourage everyone to buy a 4 oz. tub of the paste and give it a go.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you I'll give it a try.

-John Ruskin

Quote: