Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   school me on AR care (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/school-me-ar-care-61402/)

hawkguy 03-30-2012 01:17 AM

school me on AR care

i just got my first AR & i could use all all the help i can get :confused:

tell me about the care and cleaning of an AR. i'll likely completely clean it each time i shoot it, cause that's how i roll with all my guns.

do i need any particular tools for break down? i'll read the manual and watch some vids....i just haven't yet.

what should i use to clean/protect the gun? the outside finish?

would a foam bore cleaner like wipeout/breakfree be ok?

what should i use for lube? (all suggestions welcome, but i might get a chance to shoot this weekend, so if anything acceptable could be bought at wal-mart, that would be great).

any other thoughts?

many thanks!

Duck4Glocks 03-30-2012 01:22 AM

I know a few things but like you I am new to the AR world and I've watched a few YouTube videos that will help you out greatly.

purehavoc 03-30-2012 01:22 AM

I prefer to use mobil 1 synthetic to lubricate . hoppes cleaner works well , get a .22 cleaning kit , I swab mine out after a day out with hoppes and patchs til clean . I clean the lugs out with soaked hoppes and a Q tip until its clean . I clean the lower out with brake clean when it starting getting dirty and relube

Duck4Glocks 03-30-2012 01:25 AM

Also I forgot to add a bore snake makes things much easier.

mjkeat 03-30-2012 03:27 AM

Clean? Huh?

I finally cleaned mine after a couple k rounds. You really don't need to clean an AR in any sort of crazy way. A good wipe down of the BCG and 2 passes w/ a bore snake then relube. Once in a while if you have nothing better to do brake it down a little further.

Lube - Slip 2000, multi purpose grease from Walmart in the tube. Rem Oil sucks (burns up quickly). I've been wanting to try Frog Lube.

Edit: Forgot about cleaning solutions. I use a foam (Blue and White can) and a spray from Gander. Surgical gloves and Q-tips too.

Duck4Glocks 03-30-2012 03:36 AM

I use Hoppes no. 9 oil. Seems to do well in my handguns

BenLuby 03-30-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 756330)
Clean? Huh?

I finally cleaned mine after a couple k rounds. You really don't need to clean an AR in any sort of crazy way. A good wipe down of the BCG and 2 passes w/ a bore snake then relube. Once in a while if you have nothing better to do brake it down a little further.

Lube - Slip 2000, multi purpose grease from Walmart in the tube. Rem Oil sucks (burns up quickly).

Slip2000, I know what that is. Please clarify multi purpose grease. I'm thinking crisco, and I know that is wrong!

mjkeat 03-30-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 756344)
Slip2000, I know what that is. Please clarify multi purpose grease. I'm thinking crisco, and I know that is wrong!

LOL finger licking good.

It's multi purpose automotive grease in a blue and black tube made for grease guns. After cleaning I simply dip a Q-tip in the tube then apply. It makes the charging action so smooth.

BenLuby 03-30-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 756349)
LOL finger licking good.

It's multi purpose automotive grease in a blue and black tube made for grease guns. After cleaning I simply dip a Q-tip in the tube then apply. It makes the charging action so smooth.

Gotcha. Anal as it sounds, as soon as I get all my parts together, first thing I want to do is give it a good cleaning and lube, THEN head to the range.

mjkeat 03-30-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 756351)
Gotcha. Anal as it sounds, as soon as I get all my parts together, first thing I want to do is give it a good cleaning and lube, THEN head to the range.

Nothing wrong w/ that. I know I have talked a lot of crap about cleaning. I haven't always cleaned a firearm before heading to the range for the first time but my newest (BCM SS410) get's cleaned after every range trip w/i a day or two.