Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > School me on the AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default School me on the AR

So instead of buying a built AR15, I am looking to build one for myself. Ive shot and disassembled one, but when it comes to the terminology and differences between brands I am lost.

First off, I have been reading everything I can on http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/

But when it comes to the different add-ons for the lowers and the add-ons for the uppers, I have no idea what to get extra or what to not worry about.

Any information you can throw at me I will greatly appreciate!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There's a couple of good threads in the AR Forums that you should read up first.

There is a How To: thread in the Knowledge Base on the assembly of the lower parts as well, along with pictures. Sign up to support the site, it's $12, and get full access to that handy piece of literature.

After that, you should have some ideas, and the guys here can help you get pointed in the right direction.

JD

Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I just recently bought my first AR and the gun dealer gave me the choice to build it or buy a pre-assembed one. The kit he had was beginner friendly, all you have to do was put the peices together like a Lego kit. He said it cost the same as the pre-assembled rifle and you can pick and choose what parts you wanted. What I mean is you could buy a collapsible stock and a 16" barrel and make a carbine or you could buy a 20" barrel and make a rifle. I opted to go with the ready built one cause it had everything I wanted already. I could call the gunstore owner and find out some info on the kit if you would like.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:16 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bought one of mine from RRA only because it came with stainless bull barrel, a bunch of National Match components, and a 3/4" moa accuracy guarantee. I also got it at $300 off retail...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, just to clarify, I am looking for a 20" barrel to do some distance and varmint shooting. I have seen a couple pre-built ones that I like, but I am a fan of building my stuff. I guess its the sense of accomplishment for shooting what you built.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescarr51 View Post
Thanks for the replies, just to clarify, I am looking for a 20" barrel to do some distance and varmint shooting. I have seen a couple pre-built ones that I like, but I am a fan of building my stuff. I guess its the sense of accomplishment for shooting what you built.
Building your own is definitely pretty cool. Look around, get some ideas, and then come back, or shoot me a PM, and we will see if we can't steer you in the right direction for what you are looking at doing.

JD