SCAR or ACR? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > SCAR or ACR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124 View Post
Guys please don't turn this into a bickering match...just need info on good parts

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\
my preference for decent ar parts is rock river atm. i know daniel defense pof stag colt and a few others are also decent.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-25-2011, 12:34 AM   #12

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

I second rock river. All their parts can be shipped to your house except for the lower recover since it has the serial number on it. That you need the ffl for. I didn't build mine but this one is all rock river.

image-3849523562.jpg  

Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #13

Of the two, I would go with the Scar. However, you might wanna wait a bit. Beretta has a new rifle that's not available in America yet, but should be soon, and from what I've seen should be an outstanding rifle. I believe it's called the RX160 or something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
Hey John... Since when is a scar not an assault rifle?
The SCAR that civvies can buy is not an assault rifle.

Quote:
Pretty sure it stands for Special operation forces Combat Assault Rifle? And to me if any military uses a semi auto rifle it's and assault rifle... But that's just my 2 cents.
They're not. The real SCAR is select fire.

Take this for example, there are all sorts of cars that people race with professionally, for my example I'm going to use a Corvette. Tons of professional racers race with Corvettes. Now say I go buy a 'Vette, is my car considered a race car? No, it's not.

The same applies to rifles. The military uses assault rifles, civvies have what we like to call Sport Utility Rifles.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #14

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Ok I see what u guys mean now that u explain it..

Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay so explain to me why you would get one lower from one manufacturer, one upper from another...seems like you would just buy a complete rifle straight up.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 11-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And also how does a guy know which parts are compatable with others?. For instance could one put any Daniel Defense upper on a RRA lower and everything be fine?.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As far as getting parts from different makers and piecing an AR together, some people enjoy doing research for each part, and love to tinker with their guns. Don't let that overwhelm you if that isn't something you do. The shop I work at sells a lot of rock river and lewis machine and tool ARs. Go with a reputable maker and spend a little extra and get a quality model.
I personally own a LMT 16" piston with a monolithic rail platform, I went with the piston because I run it with a suppressor, which creates extra gas blowback in the barrel. Making the added carbon and heat from a gas impingement system worse. I opted to add the weight to reduce a potential problem caused by other attachments. The gas impingement system is proven, pistons have their advantages, but there is a tradeoff for everything.
If this is your first ' battle rifle' get a quality basic package, you can play with extras as you have the money to do so, but you'll be well set spending a little extra on a good rifle right off the bat. If you like the look of a particular rifle, go for it.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm thinking that I may just buy a Daniel defense complete setup. Are they pretty descent?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was actually in the market for a SCAR or an ACR come next year, but after reading this ill just stick to my M4.

And a +1 to getting a DD setup, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. Had it for over a year and a half now with zero problems.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #20

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124 View Post
I'm thinking that I may just buy a Daniel defense complete setup. Are they pretty descent? ...
Broke, I'd lose the SCAR and definitely the ACR and term "assault rifle" unless you're buying a select fire.

Yes, DD is decent, in fact one of the best. I'm very happy with mine and many others here are as well.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-25-2011 at 09:55 PM.