Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   SCAR or ACR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/scar-acr-52362/)

Broke124 11-24-2011 06:17 PM

SCAR or ACR?

Looking to get a new assault rifle, but have never owned one. I have shot the SCAR but not the ACR. Anyone have any input on pros and cons of each?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

hockeyjr1 11-24-2011 07:09 PM

I'm going to take that you have a price range of like 2500 bucks or so am I right? U probably won't find a scar for less then that but if you have that kind of money look into the H&K 416. If its not out for civilian use yet it should be soon. Look on YouTube for the episode of future weapons that it was in. You can bury it in sand, throw it in the pool and shoot it upside down with no problems. Oh and it's a piston system so u can shoot 1k rds and the bolt will stay cold and clean!

JonM 11-24-2011 07:18 PM

they arent assault rifles. please please please dont use media definitions of firearms. they are sport utility rifles.

the acr isnt very adaptable since there isnt a whole lot, almost nonexistent, aftermarket parts. the sample i got to try felt clumsy off balance and not very ergonomic. i would lump it into the same category as a galil. if you want the look of a futuristic gun but the adaptabilty of a AR15 then just build an AR15 and put on a bunch of magpul stuff since thats basically what a acr is.

im not a huge fan of piston ARs but thats more personal taste. i just dont see the need to add weight to do the same job as the gas tube does with less weight cost

i have the same opinion of the scar

just my opinion.

Broke124 11-24-2011 07:56 PM

You guys have to excuse me. My AR experience is very limited. Forgive my ignorance. That's what I'm lookin for though, people that have experience and know the details on them. Keep it coming...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

MrWray 11-24-2011 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with staying with a gas tube system, you wouldnt think that a piston system would add that much more weight, but believe me IT DOES. To me its enough to make it uncomfortable to lug around for very long. I like the looks of the ACR but from ive heard on another thread,most of them have been having slamfire problems. My advice is that if you like tinkering on guns then build your own how you want it, or just buy a complete rifle of a reputable maker..here is a pic of my Stag/ Magpul M4

Attachment 35390

mjkeat 11-24-2011 09:49 PM

Of the two Id go w/ the Scar

hockeyjr1 11-24-2011 10:24 PM

Hey John... Since when is a scar not an assault rifle? Pretty sure it stands for Special operation forces Combat Assault Rifle? And to me if any military uses a semi auto rifle it's and assault rifle... But that's just my 2 cents.

Broke124 11-24-2011 10:40 PM

I would love to build my own but I have no clue as to the quality and durability of the company's parts I would have to use.

JonM 11-24-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 635144)
Hey John... Since when is a scar not an assault rifle? Pretty sure it stands for Special operation forces Combat Assault Rifle? And to me if any military uses a semi auto rifle it's and assault rifle... But that's just my 2 cents.

Did the manufacturer assault someone with it to get that label??

Maybe thats why they cost so much. Paying all those assault charges from the workers being arrested. Heh.

Assault rifle is a political term used to demonize firearms in order to help the antigun agenda further down the road.

Broke124 11-24-2011 11:08 PM

Guys please don't turn this into a bickering match...just need info on good parts