SBR Upper Recommendations - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > SBR Upper Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
Oh nice. Thanks for educating me. That would make things much simpler. So I'm guessing that's a middy gas system?
Yes and a 9" handguard leaves about 3/8" between it and the FSB on a mid gas so 12" should fit the dissy for sure , just not sure about the 13"

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-25-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Ok tyvm. Now I just need to decide if I want a rail or leave the FSB and go Magpul.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
Ok tyvm. Now I just need to decide if I want a rail or leave the FSB and go Magpul.
all depends on how much money you want to spend . These things are forever endless money pits

Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #14

Well money isn't really a problem. Recently divorced so I can spend my money on what I choose now. Ok trying to figure out what would be easier. Get a middy upper from BCM and put a VTAC rail on it (which would require removing the fsb) or getting a dissy upper from psa, removing the fsb, and putting same VTAC rail on it. I've decided either way to remove the fsb, just not sure which upper to go with. Either way I'm going to need a gunsmith. If for some reason I decide to keep the fsb, I'll probably just slap some moe handguards on it. I want a 16" barrel with as little of the barrel sticking out from the handguard as possible. I want asd much sight radius as I can get and I want to be able to grab the rifle as close to the muzzle as I can.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #15

Or, get a middy upper from PSA and do the rail thing. PSA is cheaper than BCM without sacrificing quality IMO. That damn FSB is going to be a PITA no matter what. Other members here have said taking a Dremel to the FSB is not hard at all. Don't know if I trust myself enough to do it though.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I'm in the process of building right now. I was debating to get middy upper from BCM. And thinking removing the fsb and removing the delta ring and springs. But i changed my mind. Instead, i got Spike's stripped upper, DD lo pro gas block and DD cfh barrel. It turns out cheaper or about the same. Now i'm waiting for my MI SS G2 rail.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
I'm in the process of building right now. I was debating to get middy upper from BCM. And thinking removing the fsb and removing the delta ring and springs. But i changed my mind. Instead, i got Spike's stripped upper, DD lo pro gas block and DD cfh barrel. It turns out cheaper or about the same. Now i'm waiting for my MI SS G2 rail.
Really? Where did you order from? Sounds like the way to go. Aim surplus?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

Really? Where did you order from? Sounds like the way to go. Aim surplus?
Rogtactical.com (X-Mark). He always ships on the same day you placed the order. But i think the DD LW Midlength 16" is out of stock as i ordered his last one. PM him for parts and how soon he can get them in.
Then order gas tube from anywhere else

Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #19

So if your just going to change the hand guard out why does it have to be a middy ? why not just go with PSAs cheap $269 16" carbine, cut down or change out the fsb and put on the handguard you want ? You are truely not going to notice any difference between in recoil between the 2 of them with just the gas system alone and the carbine has more than proven itself over many many years . I have both middy and several carbines , realistically no difference between the 2 for what your doing you might as well go the cheapest route if your going to remove the FSB

Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
So if your just going to change the hand guard out why does it have to be a middy ? why not just go with PSAs cheap $269 16" carbine, cut down or change out the fsb and put on the handguard you want ? You are truely not going to notice any difference between in recoil between the 2 of them with just the gas system alone and the carbine has more than proven itself over many many years . I have both middy and several carbines , realistically no difference between the 2 for what your doing you might as well go the cheapest route if your going to remove the FSB
Best and cheapest suggestion! I agree!.
But.. for a compensation.. get to wait weeks for PSA notorious long shipments.