Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   SBR conversion vs new build (

thatguy510 10-07-2012 06:34 AM

SBR conversion vs new build
I am looking to make my way into the Class 3 world and I can't decide what to do. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. My dilemma is, should I use the sig m400 that I already have and just change out the barrel and gas block, giving me exactly what I want, or build a new rifle? I have a line on a Yankee hill lower. I am leaning towards saving a thousand and using the sig I already have but is it a mistake to go with a sig over a Yankee hill? The upside to the sig is that it's a good quality rifle and everything works flawlessly and should still changing only the barrel and gas block. That and I can have an sbr for about $500 (with the stamp and engraving) vs the $1500+ to build one.

okdonk 10-07-2012 06:54 AM

Correct if i'm wrong. From what i read, u wanted to use the Sig's upper with a new barrel with gas block, and a YHM lower? If that's the case, yes you can. Because the YHM is a new stripped lower which MUST has not been installed a stock yet.
If i were you, leave the SIG alone and just get a new upper and slap it with your YHM lower.
I'm sure there are other experienced users will give out opinions and suggestions. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

thatguy510 10-07-2012 07:09 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am considering using the entire sig rifle and only replace the barrel and gas block converting it to an sbr. Or, should I buy the yhm lower and start from scratch which in turn will cost me about $1k more. I should probably mention I have a 16" rock river so there is no likelihood that I would want or need a longer barrel rifle for long distance shooting. I already have that covered.

Garadex 10-07-2012 07:14 AM

Well you have to use a lower that has not been used as a rifle as far as I know.

thatguy510 10-07-2012 07:19 AM

That is incorrect. There is no law against converting a 16" rifle to an sbr. That is once you have your lower engraved and you receive your form 1 or 4 approval from the ATF.

okdonk 10-07-2012 07:23 AM

Building the lower from scratch without installing a stock will run you around $175-250. It all varies from the components or parts u are going to use.
For an example:
Regular Spike stripped MilSpec lower costs about $80 plus transfer fee.
Engraving costs less than $50 from Ask them for a quote.
Then the LPK with stock from PSA runs about $100-150. You can't install the stock but you can use the rifle buffer tube.
Buy the SBR upper, attach it with the newly built.
Bring it to your local Metro, register it as an AR Pistol. Then you can go out shooting it.
Submit the paperworks with $200 check.
About at least 6 months, you get the tax stamp back, install the stock. Then there it is.. your SBR.

Forgot to ask, what route are going to take. The Trust or the regular way?

okdonk 10-07-2012 07:25 AM


Originally Posted by thatguy510
That is incorrect. There is no law against converting a 16" rifle to an sbr. That is once you have your lower engraved and you receive your form 1 or 4 approval from the ATF.

A rifle is something with a stock. I thought we are talking about building it? You cant have an SBR upper attached with a lower with a stock installed IF you dont have the tax stamp in your possession.

purehavoc 10-07-2012 11:12 AM

Jump thru the hoops get all your paperwork done. Signed off by CLEO , fingerprinted, picture ,write the $200 check mailed . Get the lower engraved. The wait is approaching 7 months now. Shoot it like it is until u get the tax stamp back. When said tax stamp come put sbr upper on it. Once you have the stamp u can put any upper on that lower you want so if you do a 10" your legal to put anything over 10" on it and be fine . Nothing says once its a 10" it can't have anything else on it unless you make a permanent change to a upper for that lower

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.