Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   S&W vs. Bushmaster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/s-w-vs-bushmaster-96950/)

ptroxclair 09-12-2013 07:35 PM

S&W vs. Bushmaster

I have the option of choosing between two rifles, and I want to hear your opinion.
First option is an S&W MP sport. This rifle does not have a carry handle or a dust cover. The rifle is chambered in 5.56 NATO. I can pick up this rifle for just under $700.
Second option is a bushmaster MOE 16 inch M4. This rifle also does not have a carry handle, but does have a dustcover. I can pick up this rifle for just under thousand dollars

ptroxclair 09-12-2013 07:36 PM

The bushmaster is also chambered in 5.56 NATO.

Quentin 09-12-2013 07:54 PM

Is the BM a Carbon 15 and what is the price?

kryptar19 09-12-2013 08:37 PM

If you are gonna spend 1k, buy a Windam Weaponry or Stag Arms. That's too much for BM quality. IMO

Triumphman 09-12-2013 08:41 PM

Are you in a Dusty area, OR plan to take Weapon to any Dusty, Dirty areas? That's what the Dust Cover is all about. Forward Assist also comes with Dust Cover version. You just never know, or if you sell, this is another determination to consider---will the Buyer's want Dust Cover/Forward Assist, or not.
I say get one with DC/FA, whether you need it or not, but that's just me, because I do Hunting, and when I get to Woods with my Rifle, I want to be as quiet as possible, so FA is a benefit, to not have to let Bolt slam shut. Other's say, you can push Bolt forward with Thumb, but what if you didn't have a Thumb on your Trigger Hand? Also I think Rifle just looks better with DC/FA.

Also, if neither Rifle had a "Name" on side, you wouldn't know difference, other than looks, and Factory Finish quality, of how well applied, AND, how tight the Upper to Lower is in the slop. You want some looseness for exchanging Upper if desired, for different Calibers and other whatnot.

Get the one you feel comfortable with in handling. You can always upgrade with parts for personal taste later. If all ammo is off the Shelf, it really doesn't make difference what Barrel Twist will be(1:7, 1:8, 1:9) as all these Twists will shoot well with what's available. Bushmaster/S&W both have Chrome-Lined Barrels.
Go with confidence with either of these AR's.
Del

kryptar19 09-12-2013 08:52 PM

I can say with experience that the M&P Sport works when it's dirty. I had over 4000 rds shot without a malfunction. It shot no matter how dirty it got.

chloeshooter 09-13-2013 12:23 PM

for about the same price as the Bushmaster you can get the SW MP15 optics ready. and as I am sure a lot of folk will tell you, you can build a rifle, if that's your thing from any number of combination of parts. but if you want one ready to go out of the box so to speak, I think it is a matter of checking out the individual rifle.

I recently bought MP15 optics ready model. I handled one where the upper and lower fit was very lose, and I didn't like it. Then I handled another (it was slightly usedand it was snug as a bug). Grabbed that one. Coming off a production line and retailing for $1000 or so, there are going to be good ones and bad ones just like cars. I think that control factor is why many guys build and why I eventually will. Because I expect that nobody is going to care about my rifle near as much as I do.

whatever firearm you are purchasing, it's always good to handle a bunch of them and shoot (if you can). You can always find that 'diamond in the rough' if you are willing to be diligent in your search!

Argyle_Armoring 09-13-2013 01:27 PM

As long as the Bushmaster isn't a Carbon model I would go with that over a S&W Sporter model. Of course, if you had $1,000 you could get a top tier Argyle Armoring/SWAT Firearms AR-15 with some extras.

kryptar19 09-13-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring
As long as the Bushmaster isn't a Carbon model I would go with that over a S&W Sporter model. Of course, if you had $1,000 you could get a top tier Argyle Armoring/SWAT Firearms AR-15 with some extras.

Hey AA why don't you post some pics of your AR's. I'm curios to see them. (Let's not rob this thread tho)

CGS 09-13-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1369912)
If you are gonna spend 1k, buy a Windam Weaponry or Stag Arms. That's too much for BM quality. IMO

I agree, or lack of quality one should say.