Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   S&W Sport vs. Stag 2 AR buy for 1st timer? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/s-w-sport-vs-stag-2-ar-buy-1st-timer-62679/)

ar15noob 04-16-2012 11:57 PM

S&W Sport vs. Stag 2 AR buy for 1st timer?

So I am admittedly still very much a NOOB at the whole AR thing, but after a number of weeks on this and other blogs, I am feeling comfortable with the amount of learnings I am getting. Not that it's all about me but a buddy of mine is about to spend $1'100 all in delivered for a Stag Arms 2 with 1.7 twist chrome barrel and no other bolt ons. My thought was to get S&W Sport for way less than $700 delivered and use the other money for rails, optic, mags or other accessories. He is only shooting like 300 rounds every other month. I am all for making good investment and not wanting to start a brand war in responses but am I off base in that he is going to spend way more than he should for a first time range/plinker?

jjfuller1 04-17-2012 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
my wife and i each own a stag. mine is a model 4. hers was just purchased last week and is a model 2t. i have been super happy with the results they produce. not super familar with the sport. but quality wise i think the stag has S & W beat after comparing them in store. my vote is to spend a little extra and get the stag. BTW stag also has a lifetime warranty.

kryptar19 04-17-2012 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, better off with the Stag. I havr a modle 1 and couldn't be happier.

Attachment 43844

purehavoc 04-17-2012 12:54 AM

I dont own a stag or S&W but I would rather have the STAG over the sporty , the sporty doesnt have a dust guard , no forward assist and is slick sided . The price is a little bit high but buying from a dealer they pretty much name their prices with AR stuff seemingly being short . Resale on the stag is going to be better down the road , and I believe STAG now has a lifetime warranty on their barrels .
JMHO,
PH

Quentin 04-17-2012 12:58 AM

It's hard to believe the Stag with "no other bolt ons" is going for that much money. You should put a link to the exact model configured the way he's getting it. Surely it has some expensive add-ons, maybe a rail, etc.

Anyway, the S&W Sport would be a good low cost choice. I've only heard good reports of them. Seems to be a real bargain as an entry level AR.

dog2000tj 04-17-2012 01:19 AM

Something doesn't seem right about the $$'s you are stating. I'd find it hard to beleive that comprable AR's from STAG and S&W would be almost $400 apart. :confused:

First I would make sure you are comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Then I would shop online for both rifles to find the best price. Lastly I would check with you LGS to see if they can price match what you found online. Even if they come in a little higher I would be inclined to support a local business and purchase through them.

Good luck :)

Sniper03 04-17-2012 01:38 AM

Quentin,

I am with you! I think someone is taking his friend for a ride regarding a Stag Arms with no other accessories for $1100.00. He needs to shop around as far as who he is purchasing a Stag from. I also would rather have a Stag over the S&W. They are still built individualy at a bench by a builder not an assembly line process. Not that the S&Ws are bad guns because I have a theory that if a Black gun works and functions properly it is still a good gun. Kind of like the old saying "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

BenLuby 04-17-2012 01:48 AM

Only one that hits 1,100 on the Stag site is a piston driven.

http://www.stagarms.com/index.php?cPath=13_22

AgentTikki 04-17-2012 01:51 AM

If you can afford an $1100 Stag get a BCM.

Do not get the stag model 8 piston.

ar15noob 04-18-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
It's hard to believe the Stag with "no other bolt ons" is going for that much money. You should put a link to the exact model configured the way he's getting it. Surely it has some expensive add-ons, maybe a rail, etc.

Anyway, the S&W Sport would be a good low cost choice. I've only heard good reports of them. Seems to be a real bargain as an entry level AR.

I will look for the link I've sent me and figure out how to paste it into the iPad. I do know he absolutely has no bolt ons....even mentioned he doesn't want rails to add extras outside of a. Scope down the road using already available upper rail spot.