Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > S&w mp15 sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default S&w mp15 sport

I've been checking out an s&w mp15 sport at the gun shop. Done research on them and they seem like they are good rifles. About the only things I've read that people don't like is it doesn't have a dust cover, not many rifles do so don't see a need for it. The other thing is that it doesn't have the forward assist. I could see where this would be nice to have but have read that you can just close it with your finger. If anyone has one of these please let me know your thoughts about it. Also wondering if you can deck them out.

si vis pacem para bellum.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

It's a good AR for $600 (better than most at that price point) and you can upgrade it just like the big boys.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5272 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Dust covers i like because it keeps junk out of the action. Not important on a range gun but it is on a working gun. Especially if its a ranch gun or your dragging it around camping or sleeping outdoors for whatever reason.

Forward assist to me not being there is a plus. I prefer slickside reciever but those are hard to find. Forward assist just gets in the way and increases weight. I feel the same about those ridiculously huge charging handle latches just something else to get hung up on stuff.

The mp15 isnt on my radar but ive never heard anything truly horrid about them

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #4

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymike
I've been checking out an s&w mp15 sport at the gun shop. Done research on them and they seem like they are good rifles. About the only things I've read that people don't like is it doesn't have a dust cover, not many rifles do so don't see a need for it. The other thing is that it doesn't have the forward assist. I could see where this would be nice to have but have read that you can just close it with your finger. If anyone has one of these please let me know your thoughts about it. Also wondering if you can deck them out.

si vis pacem para bellum.
I bought one as my first AR last may and love it. Very accurate and reliable, especially for the price I paid. I put a Yankee hill rail on it and it was money

Old 05-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

I just bought an M&P 15 Sport. Awesome gun for the money. Just buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Nether item is a big deal in the real world ,even many guys severing our country will say they don't close the doors. You will be hard pressed to find any ar that can shoot with the sports for many more dollars too. Just a good solid rifle for the money.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

I'm looking at the m&p sport as well. I can't seem to find any negatives on it. Very one says either dust covers are useless or they like to keep junk out of the bolt. But how much junk does it really keep out? They don't have a perfect seal, most have a space somewhere where the metal clip attaches to the release button on the door. I understand the idea, but I just don't see an apparent use for it.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #8

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

i own one....great gun so far. imo it seems to be one of the best AR bargains out there. finding them for $600 happens, but isn't common (then add ship, ffl, checks). the average price is probably about $650. i (over)paid $679, cause i could only find them in stock at one place. i think people are catching on to the great value of this gun. even though i overpaid a bit, i have no regrets....good gun.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenn856 View Post
I'm looking at the m&p sport as well. I can't seem to find any negatives on it. Very one says either dust covers are useless or they like to keep junk out of the bolt. But how much junk does it really keep out? They don't have a perfect seal, most have a space somewhere where the metal clip attaches to the release button on the door. I understand the idea, but I just don't see an apparent use for it.
I question the intelligence/experience of folks who say say ejection port covers are useless. Instead I'd talk to soldiers and marines - or anyone who needs to keep the action clean. You might even look at a post in this thread above yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Dust covers i like because it keeps junk out of the action. Not important on a range gun but it is on a working gun. Especially if its a ranch gun or your dragging it around camping or sleeping outdoors for whatever reason...
Anyway, figure out which applications pertain to you and buy what works for you. If you do get a dust cover I suggest closing it during a sandstorm.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #10

I am an infantry Soldier, the only time you use a dustcover is on the fob when your not in a firefight. If you think about as we roll, lay and run around the dust cover is open junk is flying in everywhere, forward assist unless your in a firefight I wouldn't bother there's really no other use it's for fast remedial action.

I too am looking to buy one, for those of you military and law enforcement smith & Wesson is offering a $100 rebate on them also on their other guns. Look at their site under actions finest.