S&W M&P15 down grade
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > S&W M&P15 down grade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1135 Times on 822 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Default S&W M&P15 down grade

I have a new m&p 15 that has too many legos for my taste . The miles of rails and fancey optics , lights and lasers need to go . I tend to laugh at it when I see it like who ever built it was overcompensating for somthing . My question is whats the diff on all of the ar's ? I want a more conventional iron sights , no rails ect I just want a no b/s ar that looks more like a standard issue back in vietnam or somthing , you know the lil triangular front with the carry handle on the rear like gump had .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

To do that you will need a barrel nut with delta ring an end cap a triangle front sight base a ar barrel wrench and some sort of barrel or upper vice tool. And a different upper reciever either a1 or a2.

Of course if its been converted to a crappy piston system thats a whole different set of parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Century International Arms

Maybe sell this one & pick up that century build.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #4

that century is just what i want to do . i dont think the barrel on mine is factory , i would almost do a even swap out on the parts , i would hate to trade the whole gun . mine is still running a gas tube , could i make use of the rail and @ least make it look somethin like it ? the butt stock is no problem

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 106 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Based only on the fact that the laser on that rifle is an NC-Star, and the rail panels are UTG. I think it would be safe to assume that the rest of the stuff would also be Chicom junk as well. In that light, I think it would be safe to simply throw that stuff away without worrying about losing any inherent value that it may have. Then use your upper, stripped of all that JUNK, as a starting point to build what you want. You will need to get a front sight base and get it pinned. You can get the Triangular carbine hand guards here,

PK Firearms | Online Store .

They also have the butt stock

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Fixed_Stocks/8/c

That should get you going in the right direction

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2602 Times on 1270 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Marine.

My suggestion would be the following.

1. Sell the upper and all the accessories on your rifle. You will get more than enough money to buy the upper assembly you want and have some change left over. That is a nice rifle.

2. Sell the entire rifle and go find you a Colt SP-1 which is exactly what you want and also would be an investment for you. They are becoming collectors pieces. Look just like the M-16 A-1 Used in Vietnam only semi auto.
Has the triangular handguard. You should look on Gun Broker or other places and get an idea of price on a SP-1 in excellent condition. You should be able to get enough out of yours to possibly by one.

3. Let the guys and gals on the FTF know you would like to do some trading for the complete upper assembly you want. Someone may have a 20" With the Standard Sight and Carry Handle that wants a shorter barreled upper in the flat top configuration. And sell the accessories separate. $$$$

4. Buying parts to convert yours, having extra parts. This in my opinion would not be worth the hassle and the cost.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

what would you guys think mine is worth ? I have seen jus tthe gun on g/b from 850-1200.00 plain jane . In my book if your going to molest a gun then do it to a 10/22 ak or sks , leave the classics alone .could it be a even swap or would some one need to come off some cash ? , heck i would trade it for a mini14 and or a lever gun or m1 . I may also consider trade for a low serial number thompson M1928A1 it does not have to be perfect condition

Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Someone will come along and let you bend them over on the rifle. Most will look at all that Airsoft addons and instantly dismiss the entire rifle. Your best bet would be to ask for what you feel comfortable w/ and go from there.

How did you end up w/ the rifle?

I agree that the Century Arms SP-1ish AR would be the way to go for you.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #9

I traded a old ditch witch for it . Im going to put it up @ my local gun shop for sale or trade , I kinda figure its worth two guns , here is what I want

#1 lever gun ' make or model does not matter '
#2 ak
#3 mini 14
#4 M1 'any'
#5 judge
#6 RI 1911 in 45
#7 siaga 12
Even trade
#1 sp1
#2 tommy gun ' any '
#3 ar10 any

Im I out of my mind on any of these ?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im curious to see what you end up getting for it. Im thinking $500-$650.